Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which DIY-pedals are a must have?

Hey guys

Without question there are some great sounding DIY-pedals out there, at least in my personal opinion.
    I've had good experience with both General Guitar Gadgets (GGG) and Musikding (Germany) in the past.
    I thought the GGG Vintage Marshall BluesBreaker and ITS-8 (modable TS-808) were both great pedals and their EA Improved Tremelo is a great pedal too. Was real kean on trying their modable wah, but the PCB is still sold out at this time (bummer!).

I was wondering which DIY-pedals you have build, tried or heard that you think are recommendable??
    All types of effects are welcome (wah, OD, distortion, modulation, booster, etc...) as long as they are DIY-pedals (preferably where there is a ready to solder PCB for sale for it somewhere).

Thanks in advance for any input!!
    "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Re: Which DIY-pedals are a must have?

Rebote 2.5 delay. It's a digital delay that's made to sound like an analog.

There are lots of DIY TS type pedals that give different tonal options, like diode clipping and bass boost. I'd look into those as well.
    1989 Greco Les Paul EG59-60
    1992 Fernandes Telecaster
    2013 PRS Bernie Marsden SE
    2014 Tokai Love Rock LS115F
    2013 Ibanez Prestige RG3521
    2018 Ibanez JCustom RG8570Z
    Friedman Runt 50

Comment

Must have depends on what pedals you actually need. Fuzzes, boosts, and octave-fuzzes are some very simple circuits to play around with when you're just starting. I'd recommend them first simply because they're easier. Nothing more frightening than hooking everything up and having it fail on your first time around. It's also pretty easy mod most wahs as they're pretty simple circuits.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I love my BYOC Compressor.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

For Classic Pedals, the old Dod 250 Gray Clone Do it Yourself Clone is one of the best ones. Consider a vintage Gray Box 250 costs somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 bucks, and that one made from scratch gets much of the vibe of the original for way way less.
          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far guys!
            Cayle_6, I'll definitely look into the Rebote 2.5 delay from Tonepad, I had been looking at some Tonepad projects before but up until now, I have not tried any of their stuff. I already have a GGG ITS8 that has some fine mods to it, like different clipping sections and so on that I am real happy with, so I'll skip those for now (but if you know of any good ones you can sure still mention them for reference )

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            Must have depends on what pedals you actually need. Fuzzes, boosts, and octave-fuzzes are some very simple circuits to play around with when you're just starting. I'd recommend them first simply because they're easier. Nothing more frightening than hooking everything up and having it fail on your first time around. It's also pretty easy mod most wahs as they're pretty simple circuits.
            I'm open to all kinds of effects, as long as they are DIY with an available RTS PCB, just looking for the nicest jewels among the DIY-circuit.
            I am not new to pedal building at all GuitarStv, so the difficulty in building the effects is not important to me at all, the complexity of any pedal does not hold me back to build it. So advice away

Thanks in advance for any further input!
            "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

the BYOC tri-boost is a great pedal and not too difficult to build...

Comment

Just checked the BYOC website and it seems they are totaly out of PCB's and don't expect them in the comming time either, this is quoted from the BYOC-website:

"We're very sorry, but we currently have no PCBs for sale. We are going through a transition period to revise the
                layouts of all our PCBs. We have no dates for when this will be competed but will like span the entire year of
                2011. We have no dates on when any particular PCBs will be available either. Please do not email us for any
                details because we really have nothing to tell you. For the time being, BYOC does not sell PCBs."

Kind of a bummer if you ask me!

Comment

Originally posted by The JEM Ghost View Post
                  Just checked the BYOC website and it seems they are totaly out of PCB's and don't expect them in the comming time either, this is quoted from the BYOC-website:

"We're very sorry, but we currently have no PCBs for sale. We are going through a transition period to revise the
                  layouts of all our PCBs. We have no dates for when this will be competed but will like span the entire year of
                  2011. We have no dates on when any particular PCBs will be available either. Please do not email us for any
                  details because we really have nothing to tell you. For the time being, BYOC does not sell PCBs."

Kind of a bummer if you ask me!
                  They're just not selling the individual PCB's - that doesn't mean they don't have any kits for sale.

I have a BYOC Tremolo that works and sounds great. I used to have the BYOC Rat clone (Mouse) but I ended up selling it - just not my cup of tea.
                  -
                  My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

the GGG clone of the LPB-1 boost is a great sounding clean boost. Very easy build. I also did their brown sound in a box pedal and its quite nice too.
                    Beer me!
                    Originally posted by Kam
                    ...This machine runs on pr0n.

Comment

Working...
                    X