Peavey XXX biasing knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey XXX biasing knob

Hello. Peavey XXX amps have a "fixed bias" and a bias adjustment knob. I'm using 6L6s so the whole range of the knob is supposedly safe to use. Without any tools to read voltage, I just want to bias it as hotly as possible. Should the knob be turned all the way to the right (clockwise) or to the left (counter-clockwise)?

It seems to me that it sounds less harsh but also quieter when turned to the right, which seems to be preferable. I just want to know if this is a cooler or a hotter bias.

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by toolstylie; 12-22-2010, 01:38 PM.

Re: Peavey XXX biasing knob

on my 3120 turning counter-clockwise will increase the reading on my ohm meter which is a hotter setting...

Comment

It doesn't have enough range to hurt the amp so no worries on that front, counter clockwise reduces resistance and raises voltage.
      www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Originally posted by toolstylie View Post
        Hello. Peavey XXX amps have a "fixed bias" and a bias adjustment knob. I'm using 6L6s so the whole range of the knob is supposedly safe to use. Without any tools to read voltage, I just want to bias it as hotly as possible. Should the knob be turned all the way to the right (clockwise) or to the left (counter-clockwise)?

It seems to me that it sounds less harsh but also quieter when turned to the right, which seems to be preferable. I just want to know if this is a cooler or a hotter bias.

Thanks a lot!
        Why do you want to arbitrarily bias it hot? Why not run it where it sounds best? At the end of the day playing guitar is about sound so why insist on hot?
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Kevorkian View Post
          It doesn't have enough range to hurt the amp so no worries on that front, counter clockwise reduces resistance and raises voltage.
          i was able to get mine to at least 70, how high isn't bad?

Comment

I just turn the dial and set it by ear.
            Having it set too hot may sound nice at low volumes, but your sound turns to mush when you turn the amp up. The best setting is usually found between 11 - 1 o' clock.
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Working...
            X