Landgraff Mo'D Distortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landgraff Mo'D Distortion

Here's a demo of the Landgraff Mo'D Distortion, into my Ulbrick Venue 30, running clean at low volume. It's essentially a RAT variant, but kinda like a Rat wearing with a top hat and tails. For this clip, I have the three way switch set to the symmetrical clipping setting, so it gives a smoother type of clipping. There's a few seconds of clean signal at the front so you can hear what the amp is doing direct.

Demo of Landgraff Mo'D distortion pedal. Fender Strat into Ulbrick Venue 30 running clean at low volume.

Cheers..................................... wahwah
    Highway Star
    Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
    Mistreated
    Cause We Ended As Lovers
    Go ahead...check out my solo album @ http://geoffwells.bandcamp.com/

Originally posted by JOLLY
    Strats are better than Les Pauls.

Re: Landgraff Mo'D Distortion

Thanks for the clip wahwah!

It's a neat sounding distortion for sure (nice recording as well by the way), seems to be able to put out some mojo
    I've noticed it has the original RAT IC, the LM308, I bet that plays a part in it's sound for sure, along with some other mods/changes.
    Got to admit I like the swirl paintjob on it too (maybe a love or hate thing)

I also got to admit that the 499$ retail price indicated for this pedal on the Landgraff website is shockingly high, even for a handmade boutique pedal, prices like that are out of hand in my opinion.
    "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Originally posted by The JEM Ghost View Post
      I also got to admit that the 499$ retail price indicated for this pedal on the Landgraff website is shockingly high, even for a handmade boutique pedal, prices like that are out of hand in my opinion.
      Just on the matter of price, I'm not sure where you saw that figure, because to the best of my knowledge, John Landgraff doesn't have his own website. His pedals are distributed through Blues Angel Music, and they have this pedal @ $399, and have had for quite a few years. http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/Blu...ncat=Landgraff

It's still an expensive pedal, but a little less daunting at $100 less than your quoted price. Nobody could argue that the cost is in the components, but rather in the ear of the builder, who tweaks these pedals one at a time, in similar fashion to Bjorn Juhl from BJFE. It then comes down to whether or not we have faith in these guy's ear and tweaking ability, and what we are prepared to pay for pedals bearing the results.

It's also worth noting that both this pedal and Landgraff's other flagship, the Dynamic Overdrive, have the three way toggle switch, which offers three distinct modes of clipping, symmetrical (smooth and semi compressed), asymmetrical (open and raw) and diode bypass, for more of a big bold boost with less gain. With my LDO, I have used this toggle to completely alter the character of the pedal for different situations or with different amps. This adds a lot to the versatility and therefore value of the pedal. The same feature has been added to quite a few pedals recently, including the Rockbox Boiling Point, at a similar price point to these Landgraffs.

Last edited by wahwah; 12-23-2010, 10:24 AM.
      Highway Star
      Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
      Mistreated
      Cause We Ended As Lovers

Comment

Oh, I just googled it and mistook the first website that came up with the official Landgraff (which is non-excisting) website, this is the one I got the 499$ pricing from:
        New and Used Musical Instruments and Accessories. Guitar, bass, drums, sound reinforcement, repairs, lessons, band instrument rental.

As you indicated you can also find them priced at 399$, and that will most probably be closer to the average sales price of the Landgraff pedals.
        As said I, think they sound fine, but even a 399$ pricetag is way to heavy in my opinion (take into account that I think the price for a reissue TS-808 or regular TS-9 are way out of control as well, and those are "plain" factory units).

As a DIY-pedal builder I am pretty familiar with those toggles switches you describe for the clipping section. I have build an MXR Distortion+ clone and a Boss SD-1 clone (with some mods to the circuit) and also included a toggle switch to both to go between symmetrical and assymetrical diode clipping, and a GGG ITS8 (TS-808 clone) with the "very expensive boutique" mods done do it, it also includes a 3-way toggle to select between different diodes in the clipping section (all assymetrical here since I prefered it that way here) and the middle position skips the clipping section making it more of a booster.
        I completely agree with your description on these clipping toggle switch possibilities being very usefull and adding a lot of diversity to the pedal.
        They are always a nice feature to have on a pedal, that is without doubt!

PS:sorry I indicated a price even higher then the average one seems to be in my original post!
        "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Lovekraft makes a copy on the cheap if you don't want to pay a lot or have to wait. I had his copy of the LDO for a while and really liked it; it was easily one of the best pedals I've ever owned.
          Originally posted by kevlar3000
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
          Originally posted by Zerberus
          Better is often the enemy of good
          Originally posted by ginormous
          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Juicy!!!!!!
            Love it....

Comment

Geoff, how does this thing feel compared to a Rat??

I ask becasue as I was listening I just kept thing that it sounds just like a good Rat pedal...it's a great sound for sure I'm just curious as to what the Landy offers over a Rat save for the toggle settings.

Great clip as always!
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by That90'sGuy View Post
                Lovekraft makes a copy on the cheap if you don't want to pay a lot or have to wait. I had his copy of the LDO for a while and really liked it; it was easily one of the best pedals I've ever owned.
                That stoo funny...Lovekraft makes a copy of the Landy pedals which are copies of a Rat and a TS-808...just makes me laugh.
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Yes, clones of clones of clones...it IS funny!

I think I would have to say that the Landgraff isn't as raspy as most of the RATs I've played. It's still aggressive, but it seems to have more harmonic richness than a RAT, which is why I described it as a rat in top hat and tails! That's not going to work for some, because the rudeness of a RAT is exactly what they're after. But in my case, particularly into Fender type amp circuits, this degree of sonic refinement and harmonic richness is quite welcome. It also feels more responsive to dynamics than a RAT, not as much of a brick wall of sound, until you hit it hard. The clipping options pretty much make this pedal 3 very good, differently voiced RATs in one unit. There's been quite a bit of variance in the RATs I've played over the years, so in some ways, the sorting process has been done by John Landgraff, and then fined tuned for good measure.

I used a TS-10 and a Turbo RAT for a lot of the 90's, so the Landy DO and Mo'D combination is like a homecoming of sorts, but without the horrendous construction and reliability issues of the TS-10, or the untamed wildness of the TR. They work very well together and cover a lot of sonic territory.

Highway Star
                  Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
                  Mistreated
                  Cause We Ended As Lovers

Comment

Nice.

Too funny BTW...I'm actually using an AM TS-9/808 and my old non LED Rat right now for a few things togther...nice combo!

Comment

Working...
                    X