JVM lacking dynamics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JVM lacking dynamics?

I played a JVM205h today and found it lacking a dynamic response. My JCM800 had a nice dynamic response and so do the plexis, but I'm not getting the same from the JVM. I'm wondering if it's the stock tubes or if the JVM just doesn't have the same response.

I like an amp that can give you a cleaner, lower volume sound when you pick lightly and a louder, more saturated sound when you pick heavy. How would you compare the JVM in that aspect, considering it's not an expensive boutique amp?

Re: JVM lacking dynamics?

I noticed the same weakness with the new Mesa Rectos. This was back around 2000 that I noticed a change for the weaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Jolly_Rancher View Post
      I noticed the same weakness with the new Mesa Rectos. This was back around 2000 that I noticed a change for the weaker.
      You're not talking about the 2010 Mesa rects are you? I tried the new ones and have had GAS since. They have really improved.

Comment

more gain = less dynamics.
        Everything is a trade off.
        Last edited by Chickenwings; 12-25-2010, 03:41 AM.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Plus every time they add flexibility (ie channel switching, master volume, etc) you add a little solid state to the signal path which reduces the pure valve tone.

I first noticed this when the JCM900 replaced the 800.....a bit less dynamic in its tone.

Comment

If you can swing it, sell the jVM and grab a used or new Splawn of some sort. I plan on selling my VHT go get a Streetrod.

Good luck

Comment

I always thought that the JCM800 was more dynamic than most in that same gain range, so that would sound normal to me.

I have played the JVM410 and thought it was a great amp. It was a touch less dynamic than the Mesas that I have. It was not so flat that it was unresponsive, just different.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

try the new slash amp
                tone slut
                Marshall DSL 40C
                Fender EVH Striped Series
                Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
                Fender Squier Tele Affinity
                Mogami cables

Comment

No I don't think they're very dynamic--most big amps with channel switching and cascading gain aren't
                  Originally posted by gibson175
                  metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

hmmm I thought that the JVM had the same power section as the JCM800?

Perhaps try using a cleaner channel and a boost pedal?

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul View Post
                      If you can swing it, sell the jVM and grab a used or new Splawn of some sort. I plan on selling my VHT go get a Streetrod.

Good luck
                      That is definitely something I am considering.

Comment

People who buy 4000000 channel amps don't care about dynamics, they just care about gain and "versatility"

In short, yeah, I owned a JVM a while back, no dynamics whatsoever.
                        Originally posted by jcthejester13
                        Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
                          That is definitely something I am considering.
                          Buy, sell, or trade gear. Seymour Duncan assumes no responsibility for transactions.

this guy has a splawn for sale!

Blessed is he who expects little for he shall not be disappointed.
                          You can educate ignorance but you can not educate stupidity.

Originally posted by stratocastered
                          In a world where its necessary for a man to wax his chest, you'll find me parallel parking perfectly with a 12-pack and a full beard.
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/c./a4/11...65/Artist/link

Comment

Originally posted by oilpit View Post
                            People who buy 4000000 channel amps don't care about dynamics, they just care about gain and "versatility".
                            Not true at all.

Any high gain cascading circuit will natually compress, it is the nature of the beast.

Many of those multi-channel beasts still a have very dynamic response as you back down the gain or go to lower gain channels/settings.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by Binnerscot View Post
                              Not true at all.

Any high gain cascading circuit will natually compress, it is the nature of the beast.

Many of those multi-channel beasts still a have very dynamic response as you back down the gain or go to lower gain channels/settings.
                              Sort of, it's still different. Creating a lot of artificial gain will of course kill your dynamics, but any amp with a lot of stuff in them loses dynamics as a result of all that... stuff.

Some effects loops can be tone suckers, anything with MIDI is definitely a tone sucker, and basically anything that switches is by nature sort of a tone sucker. You kind of have to plug into a cranked old amp to understand.
                              Originally posted by gibson175
                              metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Working...
                              X