banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Balanced Triodes on a PI...Worth the up charge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balanced Triodes on a PI...Worth the up charge?

Yep, thats it...Getting ready to order some 12AT7's for the PI stage in my Fenders...Just wondering whether I should bother getting "Balanced Triodes" Tested tubes, or just go with the "normal" ones, haha.

Getting the JAN Phillips 12AT7WC also, if that makes any difference.
    www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
    I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Re: Balanced Triodes on a PI...Worth the up charge?

Well, it's a can of worms to start this thread-
    Here is my observations:
    Most NOS tubes are already pretty close, usually much closer than most modern era tubes.
    I prefer to use a balanced PI in my amps- I can hear/feel a difference.
    Others will say it makes no difference to them, and to be fair, amps don't come with balanced triodes from the factory, unless its a boo-teak amp.
    Usually the up charge is only a few dollars more for matched triodes, why not go ahead and get one, see it you can tell a difference. As an added bonus least you know the tube has been somewhat tested.
    You'll probably spend that much on coffee in a week, why not get a balanced PI?
    Last edited by marvar; 12-27-2010, 05:16 PM.
    " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

I think it will make a difference in you Fender amp. Usually the cost difference is only $5 or so, so for me it's worth it.
      My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by marvar View Post
        Well, it's a can of worms to start this thread-
        Here is my observations:
        Most NOS tubes are already pretty close, usually much closer than most modern era tubes.
        I prefer to use a balanced PI in my amps- I can hear/feel a difference.
        Others will say it makes no difference to them, and to be fair, amps don't come with balanced triodes from the factory, unless its a boo-teak amp.
        Usually the up charge is only a few dollars more for matched triodes, why not go ahead and get one, see it you can tell a difference. As an added bonus least you know the tube has been somewhat tested.
        You'll probably spend that much on coffee in a week, why not get a balanced PI?
        Yeah, if I was buying new production tubes, then I'd have just gone ahead and gotten them balanced, without asking. Simply cause, I'm sure it would make a difference. But being as they were NOS tubes, I wasn't sure whether it was worth bothering with, haha.
        I ended up doing just like you suggested...Got 1 balanced, 1 unbalanced...Figure I'll see if I can tell a difference, if I can...then I'll go with Balanced in the future. It was only $2 extra anyways, so whatever. haha.

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
        I think it will make a difference in you Fender amp. Usually the cost difference is only $5 or so, so for me it's worth it.
        Yeah, I guess I'll be finding out in a few days here. If theres no difference, I'm out $2 extra...so I guess I won't be able to buy those eight gumballs I was eye balling earlier.
        www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
        I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Comment

Power tubes don't really age in a perfectly balanced way, so after a while, it wouldn't matter any way.
          - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
          Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
          The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

The output section of the poweramp isn't balanced so why bother balancing it......unbalanced you may notice even more odd order harmonics than a balanced output.

Comment

A balanced PI is like using non-fat mayo on a bacon double-cheeseburger (my sig )

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
                Power tubes don't really age in a perfectly balanced way, so after a while, it wouldn't matter any way.
                Preamp tubes dont burn out quickly anyways. So if you can have a few years of balanced phase inverter?

I know people who say they cant tell a difference but to me it does. I much prefer balanced triodes in the PI spot
                "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

The long tail pair phase inverter (the circuit type in your fender) isn't balanced to begin with. Go look at the schematic. One side of the phase inverter has a smaller plate resistor value, giving that side of the circuit less gain. What's the point of putting in a perfectly matched and balanced tube when the circuit it lives in will run it out of balance? Furthermore, if you have one of the older Tweed style Fenders that uses a cathodyne or split-load phase inverter circuit, a balanced 12A*7 is even more pointless, because only a single triode - one half of the tube, does any phase inverting.

In my opinion, as long as both sides of the bottle are within spec, don't waste your money.
                  Last edited by Koreth; 12-28-2010, 09:48 AM.
                  Originally posted by ratherdashing
                  If you don't see the value of a good 1 watt tube amp, it probably means one or more of the following:

- You live out in the country
                  - You hate your neighbours
                  - You mistakenly believe that your big amp with the master volume at 0.5 sounds good
                  - You love solid state amps
                  - You don't actually play guitar
                  - You kick puppies

Comment

Lot of interesting food for thought in this thread!
                    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I told you this would open a can of worms......
                      Agreed, some Fender amps only use 1/2 of the triode, my princeton for one- it is pointless to use a matched triode on those type of amps.
                      The bottom line is- use what you think sounds/feels best.
                      But unless you try a balanced PI, You really can't make an informed decision as to how it will react in your amp..
                      I can't understand us players sometimes, we will spend xxx amount of dollars on guitars, pickups, strings, picks, straps, pedals, etc, anything to gain an "edge", but some folks complain about spending $3-5 more on a balanced tube.
                      The PI is more about feel than tone; how it breaks up, responds, etc.
                      " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

Is this some new way to give a jolt to your private investigator?
                        Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                        https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                        Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Originally posted by Low_fidelity2100 View Post
                          Yep, thats it...Getting ready to order some 12AT7's for the PI stage in my Fenders...Just wondering whether I should bother getting "Balanced Triodes" Tested tubes, or just go with the "normal" ones, haha.

Getting the JAN Phillips 12AT7WC also, if that makes any difference.
                          I just loaded a JAN Philips NOS balanced triodes 12AT7WC into my 1966 Super Reverb in the Phase Inverter slot. I will say that I also loaded in a new JJ 12AX7 into V1 and V2 ... I cannot begin to tell you what these new tubes did for this amp -- mostly, I believe, the PI. Running a 2000 American Series Stratocaster through it, loaded with Dawgtown Custom Shop Alnico III's, the guitar and amp sounded more like a grand piano in the middle and neck positions, than a guitar ... just glorious. Plus, I could run up more BASS without getting MUD. Today I am very happy with it! Hopefully, I will be tomorrow, as well ... But you know how those ear cobblers like to come in while you are sleeping, and change out your hearing system ...

Comment

Balanced triodes really only matter to the "gold plated cat turds sound better than regular cat turds" audiophile (expensive all-tube stereo, etc...) crowd.

Comment

Shut up and play yer guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X