Epic pedalboard question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic pedalboard question

Ok, just in the process of putting together a pretty extensive pedalboard (pics to come) the pedals I have are varied, and I am looking for some advice as to whether they'll go best in a effects loop or in front of the amp.

Various drive/OD/distortion/fuzz pedals (many of these, as the amp will be run
    clean mostly)
    Boss EQ - probably used to add a little drive to the compressor like under the
    bridge by the RHCP)
    " Compressor
    Some form of delay pedal - not yet bought
    Super Chorus
    Flanger
    EVH phaser

any thoughts????

Re: Epic pedalboard question

Wah, compression and OD/DS are always in front of the amp.
    The modulations (phaser, chorus, flanger) are usually in front, but some people likes them in the loop too. Try what sounds better to you.
    Time-based effects (delay, reverb) are usually in the loop. But again, some people that uses a clean amp run all their pedals in front.
    Eq can be before or after, it depends of you.

Comment

I tend to run everything through the front out of laziness. doesn't sound bad at all.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
        I tend to run everything through the front out of laziness. doesn't sound bad at all.
        same here, though i did once hook up my board in the effects loop. dirt pedals sound muffled, modulation wasn't as lush, and the wah just sounded nasty. delay on the other hand sounded wonderful
        Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
        ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

I recently got a Flanger and Phaser and based on Niels' (Vasshu) advice I tried them in front of my amp to great effect. For some reason my Chorus sounds better in the loop, before delay and volume boost, but Phase and flanger sounds great in front of my dirty amp.
          My current board goes.....

Guitar > Wah, Tuner, Comp, Flange, Phase, FuzzHead, Crunchbox, Keeley T.M.B > front of amp.

Loop send > Chorus, Delay, Boost > Loop return.
          Last edited by d1dsj; 12-28-2010, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Don't listen to us or anybody else on the internet...

Hook it up and see what you think, switch things around until you're happy with it...

Since you are asking for opinions if it were mine I'd run it all up front excepot the delay which I woud put in the loop.
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
              Don't listen to us or anybody else on the internet...

Hook it up and see what you think, switch things around until you're happy with it...

Since you are asking for opinions if it were mine I'd run it all up front excepot the delay which I woud put in the loop.
              slightly off topic.

i was on facebook about a week ago, and someone asked this same question. it this is kind of what happened.

- Dude Asking Question: I just got a new pedalboard. any advice on how to hook up pedals? etc.

- astro: dirt in front modulation can go in the loop... blah blah

other dude: DUDE, you should call up HECTOR and ask him, we should pay him! HE'S THE MAN!

-astro: I just told him what hector would.

other dude: THATS WHY WE SHOULD CALL HECTOR!

-astro: -.-

Comment

Dirt always in front
                Time based always looped (if available)
                Modulation either/or depending on type and taste. I prefer chorus and flangers in the loops but phasers, trem and vibrato in front.
                Wah always in front
                Compression 98% of the time in front.
                EQ wherever needed

Comment

Working...
                X