Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MJM London Fuzz Silicon

Hi guys

a) your thoughts / reviews on MJM London Fuzz II silicon ?

Buy Now: https://goo.gl/HhAxneThe MJM London II Fuzz Pedal takes the original London and uses silicon transistors for a harsher, raspy fuzz tone that you hav...

b) Do Silicon Transistors in Fuzz pedals last longer and are more reliable than Germanium transistors ?

thanks

Re: MJM London Fuzz Silicon

Seems like it's a Fuzz Face circuit, using Si transistors aka The Silicon Fuzz Face, opposed to the Germanium Fuzz Face which uses Ge transistors.
    Silicon transistors are definitely more reliable (especialy the modern ones) then Germanium transistors who often suffer from leakage.
    Even if Germanium transistors are way more looked for in Fuzz boxes, and the prices of Ge transistors (that are NOS by now) is much higher then Si ones, I'd still say it's a matter of taste for what you like best in a Fuzz. The guy in the video pretty much discribes the Si sound pretty accurate.

I did not even hear about the MJM London Fuzz II until I saw your post here, so I don't have any experience with it. I can see from the vid (where they show the guts of the pedal) that it is definitely wired for true bypass (3PDT) and that's always a positive point.
    Pedal seems to made with decent components otherwise as well, I just don't know what the price on this one is (I suspect it to be pretty expensive), but seing the very simple circuitry and the use of Si transistors, it should not cast that much.
    If the price is too high, I'd just build my own (as usual ) from a DIY Fuzz Face PCB
    "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Yeah MJM London Fuzz II is 175 dollars,

kinda expensive for a simple circuit like that ?

Does it sound like a 175 dollar pedal ?

Comment

$175 is a deal for a handmade fuzz box made by a builder that knows whats going on and how to really make a great sounding pedal.

The MJM stuff is top notch.

The only otrher deal in an Si FF thats as good or better is the Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face and they are $149, and that is a stupid deal for a pedal that sounds that good!
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
        X