Thinking of swapping my Night Train for a Tweaker head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of swapping my Night Train for a Tweaker head

I'm still very satisfied with the Vox but just thinking of changing things up a bit for the sake of a change

I actually found someone possibly interested in a swap. From a $ standpoint, it's close enough to work out, but I am wondering if I will be happy with the Tweaker.

Trying to figure what will I gain vs what will I miss in the Night train.

So those of you who have experience with both amps, what's the Vox got that the Egnater doesn't?

Re: Thinking of swapping my Night Train for a Tweaker head

If you decide to sell the NT, let me know what you want for it via PM.
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by AniML View Post
      I'm still very satisfied with the Vox but just thinking of changing things up a bit for the sake of a change

I actually found someone possibly interested in a swap. From a $ standpoint, it's close enough to work out, but I am wondering if I will be happy with the Tweaker.

Trying to figure what will I gain vs what will I miss in the Night train.

So those of you who have experience with both amps, what's the Vox got that the Egnater doesn't?
      FuseG4, got a tweaker after having a Night Train, then a DSL. He seems pretty happy with the Tweaker. I'm thinking of going the tweaker route myself. I like the demos I've seen. I don't think you would be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by karpathion View Post
        FuseG4, got a tweaker after having a Night Train, then a DSL. He seems pretty happy with the Tweaker. I'm thinking of going the tweaker route myself. I like the demos I've seen. I don't think you would be disappointed.
        Yeah, Fuse and I seem to have very similar taste in amps. We were talking tubes a lot when we got the Voxes around the same time. I've got to pick his brain on this one.

Comment

Tweaker is pretty versatile. I had one for a few weeks and would still have it, if I didn't get an Eleven Rack to fill the same role (daily practice and recording). With an OD pedal in front of the Tweaker, it can cover pretty much any style. Nice Fender and Marshall tones in there for sure.
          "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
            Tweaker is pretty versatile. I had one for a few weeks and would still have it, if I didn't get an Eleven Rack to fill the same role (daily practice and recording). With an OD pedal in front of the Tweaker, it can cover pretty much any style. Nice Fender and Marshall tones in there for sure.
            That definitely seems to be the selling point is its versatility.

A lot of amps get a bad rap for being one trick ponies, even if they are great at that one trick. On the other hand I don't wan't to end up with a JOATMON.

If I flip the Vox, it's got to be for something that really excels at what it does best.

Right now the Tweaker and a couple of Traynor models (YCV-20 and a 70s bass/ guitar model YBA-?) have picqued my interest. Money wise, though this needs to be a reasonably lateral move.

Comment

I'll chime in as well.

I own the Tweaker and it is a very versatile amp. If you are not dead set on it sounding exactly like a Vox you will be set. It definitely gets in that ballpark, but to me its still not as chimey as a Vox. The other modes (Fender-y, Marshall-y) far make up for the lack of pure-Vox tones.

I really dig this amp. A lot. I am sure others can comment, but I would assume changing the power tubes to something similar to a EL84 will also yield better results. For example, using EL34s gives you more of a Marshall roar on the amp.

Comment

The jangle to modest gain on the Vox NT is great, but I am not crazy about the higher gain. If the Tweaker can approach Vox chime and offers Marshall crunch and roar, that's the ticket for me, I have a an SCXD so I have my Fender cleans covered.

In a nutshell I would hope for more cream and crunch in exchange for grit and sizzle, but still have the general Voxy character on tap when needed

Comment

I like mine. I do not really spend any time on the hot channel though asit is just not my thing.

Comment

i love the way the VOX sounds

and it looks way cooler
                    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

If you are going to use some effects pedals in the effects loop in high gain, then test them first. Some pedals seem to reduce/attenuate the return signal to the amp, reducing the volume.

My Boss, MXR, and Ibanez pedals cause this phenomena, but my Verbzilla does not.

I really really like my Tweaker head, but make sure that the loop and your intentions are on the same page.

(Hey, yeah the NT has no loop, so you're still potentially one up in that regard, but if you are a die-hard MXR Carbon Copy guy or something like that, then you might feel some friction with this amp when the gain is turned up.)
                      Being cool is knowing when to let things slide.

Comment

Originally posted by AniML View Post
                        The jangle to modest gain on the Vox NT is great, but I am not crazy about the higher gain.
                        what don't you like about it?

Comment

Originally posted by WoodGrain67 View Post
                          If you are going to use some effects pedals in the effects loop in high gain, then test them first. Some pedals seem to reduce/attenuate the return signal to the amp, reducing the volume.

My Boss, MXR, and Ibanez pedals cause this phenomena, but my Verbzilla does not.

I really really like my Tweaker head, but make sure that the loop and your intentions are on the same page.

(Hey, yeah the NT has no loop, so you're still potentially one up in that regard, but if you are a die-hard MXR Carbon Copy guy or something like that, then you might feel some friction with this amp when the gain is turned up.)
                          Dude, I really don't want to sound like an ass, but that's why we have level knobs on the pedals. Turn the level up on the pedal and there is no problem.

Comment

Here I am! Can't believe I missed this thread for so long.

So they way I remember the night train is... yeah that AWESOME light crunch from running light gain and high on the master in the bright mode. The tweaker just doesn't seem to sound as bright, jangly, or as open and dynamic, A lil more compressed and with thicker mids and bass than the night train.

The british sounds coming from the tweaker sure do beat the night train for getting that sort of "marshall" tone . Increasing the treble and mids and backing off the bass on the tweaker gets me pretty to the DSL's plexi-ish sounds, the NT was just TOO chimey and didn't have the right midrange shape to get that thicker roar, and the thick mode doesn't bite like a marshall.

The NT is like harnessing the very soul of EL84s with no frills. You get a few very specialized and direct tones which sound quite organic but they can be somewhat limited in variety.

The Tweaker is like having 3 or 4 amps that all feel the same. You can get Tweed and BF tones, a vox "normal channel" tone, and a marshall "combo amp" kinda thing. The Marshall sounds are not as bold and are more compressed in the tweaker versus say, the DSL, but the EQ of the sound is much closer to that plexi-ish EQ than the night train can get IMO.

The NT does VOX way better than the tweaker, but the tweaker does a better marshall sound and does american stuff that the NT can't touch. I bought the tweaker for the american tones and the marshall sounds really add to it, but if I hardly use the vox setting.

I'd like to own both amps, honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by karpathion View Post
                              Dude, I really don't want to sound like an ass, but that's why we have level knobs on the pedals. Turn the level up on the pedal and there is no problem.
                              Hey karp, I typically don't run pedals with level knobs in my effect loop. I guess you mean distortion and compression boxes, right? I put those between my guitar and amp.

I'm writing about delay, reverb, and modulation effects. Where is that level knob on my Phase90??? From what I've read , the Tweaker effect loop is at line level instead of intrument level, which can overload some pedals, especially when the pre-amp gain is turned up. Some pedals attenuate the signal and some actually garble it as well. I've encountered this phenomena. Googling the subject will locate others who have encountered it as well.

I could put by GE7 EQ in the loop to re-boost the signal, but what did I lose along the way?

Anyway, just test the loop with your personal choice of effects before buying.

Research is perhaps the best "effect" of all.
                              Being cool is knowing when to let things slide.

Comment

Working...
                              X