TS-7 tubescreamer noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS-7 tubescreamer noise

I bought a TS-7 tubescreamer and something seems off. It sounds great but all my strats 5 positions are noisy instead of the usual 1, 3 and 5 positions. What could be wrong?

Re: TS-7 tubescreamer noise

Noisy compared to what? If it's noisy compared to no pedal, then that's to be expected. Any pedal will add noise.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Did you have a nearby TV on??

Have you rolled down the volume of the guitar to see if the 'noise' persists?

Have you taken the pedal out of line to see if the guitar is making this noise anyhow.

Comment

any dirt box will add some noise, thats the nature of the beast. Even the rwrp positions on a strat make some hum, as do humbucking pickups in other guitars. Nothing is totally noiseless. There is a possibility that your strat has always hummed in all 5 positions, just less pronounced in position 2 and 4. This hum may be caused by inadequate shielding and grounding which will make it susceptible to various types of interference.
        First thing you need to do is work out where the hum is coming from - guitar, pedal, cable or amp. My guess is that its the guitar so the advice re: rolling off the volume knob is a good start. If it persists then the noise is coming from further down the line. Try a guitar with humbuckers and see if there is a noticeable difference also.
        Last edited by Chickenwings; 01-10-2011, 04:16 AM.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

The ts7 is noisy compared to my old ts5. With the volume up while not playing, 2 and 4 used to be a lot quiter through the ts5. I should tell you though the outlet where the amp is plugged in is not grounded. I have to definatly fix that.... got a few nice shocks in the past. Will an ungrounded amp make a lot more noise?

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo1 View Post
            The ts7 is noisy compared to my old ts5. With the volume up while not playing, 2 and 4 used to be a lot quiter through the ts5. I should tell you though the outlet where the amp is plugged in is not grounded. I have to definatly fix that.... got a few nice shocks in the past. Will an ungrounded amp make a lot more noise?
            Yes. Get that fixed then see what happens.
            "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I tried another outlet ( a grounded one) and it's way better. Now to ground the one near my amp. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
              X