banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reissue capacitors? What are they really selling us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reissue capacitors? What are they really selling us?

Found this thread interesting, especially considering what Gibson is charging for their reissue capacitors!

Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
    Originally posted by Securb
    The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Re: Reissue capacitors? What are they really selling us?

overpriced caps = corksniffery kool-aid
    Beer me!
    Originally posted by Kam
    ...This machine runs on pr0n.

Comment

Nice post trevorus!

Another example of how some things on the guitar market are as close to pure scams as can be... Sad really that companies like Gibson (and along with them many other big names out of the guitar industry) uses such techniques to make extra profit.
      Last edited by The JEM Ghost; 01-10-2011, 03:57 PM. Reason: correction
      "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Yep. The vintage stuff in these realms seem so easy to fake, and so hard to quantify.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
        Originally posted by Securb
        The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

I don't think Gibson makes it a secret that their large capacitors are just small capacitors in larger packaging for the vintage look.

Somebody xrayed them years ago and found out.

Comment

Maybe you all missed the threads a year or two ago about new Sprague "Atom" capacitors. While the outside looks like the vintage parts, inside is just a little capacitor. Worth $10 for a 16uf/450 volt electrolytic cap? Not unless you're restoring a vintage amp and need it to look "right".

IMHO tone caps inside guitars are like so many other things: it's worth it to upgrade from the cheap ceramic caps Fender & others put in new guitars, but only your dog can hear the difference between an Orange Drop and a Mallory 150 (assuming that they are the same value - remember most caps are rated +/- 20% and that's a pretty big spread).

Cheers,

Chip
            Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
            Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
            Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
            SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
            SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
            "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Working...
            X