60's Head version of Blackfaced Twin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60's Head version of Blackfaced Twin

what years during the late 60's was the blackface Fender Twin avilable as a Head? Can't say you hear too much about the head versions... mostly every collector or fan loves the 2x12... I assume the heads are rare...

Re: 60's Head version of Blackfaced Twin

Good reason you never hear much about them...they don't exist in stock form.

The Twin was ALWAYS a combo...

You can get a heads that more or less the same thing...the TFL5005 Dual Showman Reverb head but those were never sold in a Blackface...only Silverface.

That said, you can buy a Twin Reverb and put it in a head cab ala Eric Johnson...
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
      Good reason you never hear much about them...they don't exist in stock form.

The Twin was ALWAYS a combo...

You can get a heads that more or less the same thing...the TFL5005 Dual Showman Reverb head but those were never sold in a Blackface...only Silverface.

That said, you can buy a Twin Reverb and put it in a head cab ala Eric Johnson...
      that would be why i have not heard much about them... ya i've been watching the Eric Johnson Austin City limits dvd from 88... i would assume he is running them into the Marshall cabs on stage

Comment

Originally posted by WhoFan View Post
        that would be why i have not heard much about them... ya i've been watching the Eric Johnson Austin City limits dvd from 88... i would assume he is running them into the Marshall cabs on stage
        Yep he was...

He went back to Twin combos a long time ago but just last year went back to running heads again.

He runs both heads to a single 4x12 Marshall cab loaded with JBL's...2 12's per Twin...
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

cool... that really is a massive tone he gets from that rig... the clean sounds are super... i assume he has a lot of reverb and a lot of tape delay on his clean tones...

did he have an HS2 in that old strat? someone told he did at one point as a pu died...

Comment

Lots of verb and an Echoplex or digital echo for sure...one of his old Strats does have an HS2 in it...but only in one position.

Sorry I'm not more help I've never see EJ's ACL show...

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

there that link above works...

Comment

his clean sounds are mostly on other clips from this show but i just love the little clean parts he has in the outro of this other Hendrix cover from the same show... around 4:15 he plays some chords thru the Twins!!!!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

here is some of the clean Twin tone...

Comment

some jazzy stuff

Last edited by WhoFan; 01-11-2011, 04:54 PM.

Comment

He was back to using heads whan I saw him at the Experience Hendrix show...

Here is a clip from the show I was at...crap audio but still cool...

Comment

cool... i guess for the reverb to work right in a combo cut down into a head cab it would require sitting the head on the cab for sure...

Comment

you just bolt the tank into the head

Comment

Originally posted by WhoFan View Post
                              cool... i guess for the reverb to work right in a combo cut down into a head cab it would require sitting the head on the cab for sure...
                              No...not at all...set the amp anywhere it'll work just fine...

Comment

Working...
                              X