Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tell me about KT88 tubes

Originally posted by Christopher Caruana View Post
    Well the problem is, There arent any good amp techs in my area that im aware of; thats why im not too sure I want to take it to just any music shop around where I live because I dont know what kind of rep the tech has
    Where you are?
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

KT-88s, from the limited experience that I've had with them, are an extremely powerful, dynamic tube. They sound clean with loads of headroom and it's difficult to overdrive them. A duet of 88s in A/B mode will push about 100 watts. If you're sold on EL-34s, my guess is that you're not going to really like the sound of 88s.
      www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

well my 800 is currently set up for 6550's and im not sure I want to mod any resistors so I can increase the bias range to accept EL34's. I might jus stick with 6550's
        Have you tried some EL34s? Sometimes the bias pot has enough range to bias without the mod. As glassman said; KT66 is another option that may work. 6CA7s may work too.

Comment

So, I sent an email to the people at "the tube store" and asked them if there was a 6550 tube that was closer to an EL34? and he said there wasnt any, but he said KT88 tubes are like an "EL34 on steroids." Im not big on the 6550's because of their harder attack and big, clean headroom. I like the 34's for their warm mids, early break up, and sweeter tone.

So, are KT88's anything like EL34's?

-Chris
          \/\/\/
          Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
          There is a lot to this question but in short, in a Marshall if you don't like 6550's you likely won't like KT88's...

Same big high headroom and same hard attack..
          SOOOO true. I've got an 81 2204 and went from 6550s to KT88s. I preferred the 88s to the 6550s because they had a bit more of a bouncy sound.

NOS tube dealers but a set of NOS Tung Sol 6550's will run you $250 a pair ballpark...

If you want to use EL34's just have the mod done, it's a very common mod and many Marshalls have had it done.
          Had Jeff Seal (a forum member here who owns an amp tech business speakersurgeon.com) mod mine. ....I also had him put in a souped up handwried turret board afterward. lol

If you like EL34's why not just stay with EL34's??
          I'm with Christian, It's not a big deal to reverse.
          “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

You guys have your wires crossed.

6550's need MORE negative bias, so Marshall amps designed to use 6550's have the bias circuit designed to provide a more negative bias.

EL34's take less negative bias. You could slap the EL34's in there right now and the biggest issue would be if the EL34's ran too cold.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              You guys have your wires crossed.

6550's need MORE negative bias, so Marshall amps designed to use 6550's have the bias circuit designed to provide a more negative bias.

EL34's take less negative bias. You could slap the EL34's in there right now and the biggest issue would be if the EL34's ran too cold.
              really??
              2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
              Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
              Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

The main difference between 6550 and EL34 set up Marshalls is the adjustmet range of the bias pot. Just take a volt meter and measure negative voltage at pin 5. Generally the range of the bias pot for 50 watt models is -38 volts to -48 volts set up for 6550's. Set up for EL34's the range usually runs from -34 volts to -40 volts. If the range is fairly close to that, you can probably run EL34s bias with a middle bias setting just fine without the mods.

On edit: another thing to do going from 6550 to EL34 is to change the NFB wire (purple wire to ohm switch) from the 4 ohm lug to the 8 ohm lug. This smooths up the amp highs and improves the clean tone too, BTW
                Last edited by Lake Placid Blues; 01-14-2011, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Well the problem is, There arent any good amp techs in my area that im aware of; thats why im not too sure I want to take it to just any music shop around where I live because I dont know what kind of rep the tech has
                  Ask around. Talk to other that have had work done by your local tech to see if they felt they were served well. Ask the tech for references.

If that fails, find a tech elsewhere that you trust or has a good reputation and ship it there. This happens a lot. I got a 73 Super Lead in this afternoon from Florida for a full rebuild...that's 1000 miles away.

The key is to know exactly what you want...and having a tech that will walk you through the details.
                  Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

KT88's are a more-or-less straight swap for 7027A's. Those were used in Magnavox-era Ampeg amps in the early 70's, like the V4 head.

7027A's were very loud, lots of headroom, and rather hard to come by.
                    sigpic
                    "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
                    --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
                    Originally posted by Lewguitar
                    In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Originally posted by glassman View Post
                      Ask around. Talk to other that have had work done by your local tech to see if they felt they were served well. Ask the tech for references.

If that fails, find a tech elsewhere that you trust or has a good reputation and ship it there. This happens a lot. I got a 73 Super Lead in this afternoon from Florida for a full rebuild...that's 1000 miles away.

The key is to know exactly what you want...and having a tech that will walk you through the details.
                      well since mine is a VERY heavy combo, if I was going to ship it somewhere, I would probably have to end up unscrewing the chassis from the shell and just shipping that
                      2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
                      Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
                      Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Originally posted by ginormous View Post
                        KT88's are a more-or-less straight swap for 7027A's. Those were used in Magnavox-era Ampeg amps in the early 70's, like the V4 head.

7027A's were very loud, lots of headroom, and rather hard to come by.
                        I'd be really hesitant to recommend doing that without having a tech set it up. It's really easy to over-dissipate the screens in a V4, even using 7027As. JJ makes a really nice 7027A...in fact, I had a V4B leave the shop yesterday with a fresh set of them. The V4 is fixed bias that is non-adjustable so replacement tubes have to be properly selected.

well since mine is a VERY heavy combo, if I was going to ship it somewhere, I would probably have to end up unscrewing the chassis from the shell and just shipping that
                        That's the proper way of doing it. A tech doesn't need your speakers to repair/mod your amp though it is a good idea to let them know what your speaker combination is in case there are special considerations.
                        Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

Working...
                        X