Urgent Question for guys with Hot Rod Soldanos/Splawns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent Question for guys with Hot Rod Soldanos/Splawns

Most likely you guys have played JCM800's. Is there anything so special about a early Marshall JMP /JCM 800 that isnt at least as good or even bested by your modern amps?
    I understand an early Plexi original amp might be hard to top as a repro, but the JMP/JCM's?
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Re: Urgent Question for guys with Hot Rod Soldanos/Splawns

Do what?
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
      Do what?
      I think he wants to know if modern amps (soldanos and splawns) are just as good as the early JMP/JCM800 2204's and 2203's
      2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
      Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
      Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

I always envied guys with soldanos back in the early early 90s. Most of us were using marshalls.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I'd take the marshall. I have been to the promised land, and I'll be damned if it wasn't loud and proud but at the same time singing and graceful.

Comment

How do you quantify better though? No matter how hard a Splawn or Soldano try they will never be a JCM800. Doesnt mean that they cant cop its vibe. It doesnt mean that they arent a better fit for YOU and the sound your after. Just means that each is its own amp and has its own set of plus's and minus's.
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I have both my old JCM800 (a 2210, so not a fabled 2203/2204 but I have used those too) and a 2010 Splawn Quick Rod.

The Quick Rod pretty much destroys my 800 in every way. You plug into the Splawn and pretty much instantly you've got access to every 80s Rock/Metal tone you've heard on records. Alot of those recordings were done on 800s and JMPs etc, but they'd been modified and boosted etc whereas my Splawn lets me get those tones by plugging straight into the amp.

I've had my 800 about 12 years now and I'll never get rid of it, but my Splawn will always be 1st choice, basically, because it just sounds better! (to me atleast. Clearer, fuller, heavier (if need be)).

Comment

Originally posted by Brow View Post
                I have both my old JCM800 (a 2210, so not a fabled 2203/2204 but I have used those too) and a 2010 Splawn Quick Rod.

The Quick Rod pretty much destroys my 800 in every way. You plug into the Splawn and pretty much instantly you've got access to every 80s Rock/Metal tone you've heard on records. Alot of those recordings were done on 800s and JMPs etc, but they'd been modified and boosted etc whereas my Splawn lets me get those tones by plugging straight into the amp.

I've had my 800 about 12 years now and I'll never get rid of it, but my Splawn will always be 1st choice, basically, because it just sounds better! (to me atleast. Clearer, fuller, heavier (if need be)).
                Ya I watched a demo for the combo version of the quick rod, I think its called the "street rod" and holy cra*! that thing sounds amazing! a hotrodded plexi, 800 and a super hotrodded 800 all in one! I have an 800 2204 already and its awesome, but the street rod or the quick rod is next on my list!
                2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
                Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
                Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Caruana View Post
                  Ya I watched a demo for the combo version of the quick rod, I think its called the "street rod" and holy cra*! that thing sounds amazing! a hotrodded plexi, 800 and a super hotrodded 800 all in one! I have an 800 2204 already and its awesome, but the street rod or the quick rod is next on my list!
                  Yep, the Street Rod is a great little amp. It's essentially a 40w version of the QR with a Splawn Small Block (55w Greenback-a-like speaker in it).

I tried 1 out while I was in the shop trying my QR head and while it sounded good, I just don't seem to be able to gel with combos so I passed on it and got my head and an oversized 2x12 with V30s.

Comment

Personally, I'd go with the modern amp. Old Marshalls are great, and I've owned Superleads, 800s, and early 900s, all of them were awesome amps. The Superlead and 800s especially needed to be run loud to sound good though, and the soundman was usually telling me to turn down in clubs. I've also had a Hot Rod 50+ which I preferred to the old Marshalls. I haven't tried a Splawn, but hear great things about them. Also, the newer amps will probably be much more reliable than the old amps.

That said, it's hard to go wrong either way, the old Marshalls still have a special place in most rock guitarist's hearts.

Comment

Working...
                    X