Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Music Man amp and Cannabis Rex speakers

Good God.

Last edited by guitfiddle; 01-11-2011, 11:33 PM.
    - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Re: My Music Man amp and Cannabis Rex speakers

I keep hearing great things about those... i might have to drop one into my fender to see whats up.

Comment

I've always loved the Music Man, which does much more than just the clean Fender-ish thing. It's just that into the CRex speakers, instead of the G12M-70s I have in the 4x12, and the G12K-85s that came out of my 2x12, the amp just sounds better in some fundamental ways.

Really the differences are the same as with the little amp I have, in that it lets the OD from the amp or pedal/amp come through clearly. Once again, I had to set things a bit differently, but when the balance was achieved, the CRexes just made the amps core tone shine. Makes me want to try more MM amps.
      Last edited by guitfiddle; 01-11-2011, 11:36 PM.
      - Tom

Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.

Comment

I know what you mean. I have a musicman 210 sixty five. I originally had the original musicman alnico speakers reconed which were nice, but i wanted more balls so i installed a pair of 75 watt Lorantz hemp/paper compound speakers in there. I imagine crexes would be perfect for a 212. Smooth top end and plenty of fatness. It is an amazing amp. So much character and as you said you can so so much more than fender twin clean, you can trim off the bottom and top and make it into a snarling midrange crunch machine. It has the great sensation of feeling like its actually part of your guitar. A ts in front of it and its all cream.
        FWIW - guitfiddle - an easy experiment (and one that stayed in my amp) is swapping the clipping diodes in the preamp for LEDs. You get a little more headroom, more definition, more harmonic content and much smoother and more natural breakup from the preamp, so if you have a spare half hour, try swapping them. I think youll enjoy the results.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
          FWIW - guitfiddle - an easy experiment (and one that stayed in my amp) is swapping the clipping diodes in the preamp for LEDs. You get a little more headroom, more definition, more harmonic content and much smoother and more natural breakup from the preamp, so if you have a spare half hour, try swapping them. I think youll enjoy the results.
          Hmmm That sounds like a cool mod. I've been to the Music Man forum (might get five new threads a month) and there is all kind of info there, but I think this is the first time I've heard of using LEDs.

I want to try one of the 65 watt heads that go down to 30 in half power mode. For sure would like to try one with EL34s instead of 6L6s. Already have them in the HD-150.
          Last edited by guitfiddle; 01-12-2011, 12:19 AM.
          - Tom

Comment

MIne (sixty five) has 6ca7s from EH because i believe it will melt regular el34s. Theres some incredible plate voltage thing goin on with MMS so its apparently the way to go for these amps. I prefer its sound on full power, but a friend of mine has been using it at a lot of gigs recently (his amp is in need of some love and care) on half power. He owns a busy studio and people have been drool over the sound of this amp. He uses an ocd with it for live. I went and heard him play with this setup and i seriously though his guitar was gonna explode!
            Re: mods. I have replaced all the caps in the amp as well as the output transformer. The only non- stock mod i have done is the Leds. (and of course the Lorantz speakers)
            Last edited by Chickenwings; 01-12-2011, 12:22 AM.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Yeah, they're voltage beasts, and lots of modern tubes will just give out in them.

I use half power mode most of the time, but it sure is fun on an outdoor gig, to run full power, and plug into the bass side and overdrive it.
              Last edited by guitfiddle; 01-12-2011, 12:26 AM.
              - Tom

Comment

Working...
              X