Blackheart Little Giant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackheart Little Giant

I love my Superleads but I am looking at smaller amps for the studio. The Blackheart Little Giant seems intriguing. I keep hearing "you get what you pay for" in my head every time I look at it. I was disappointed with the Valve Jr even after I did a number of mods.Most of the issues were tied to the lack of EQ on the Jr. This amp is by the same designer and addresses those issues.

Any real world recording experience with this amp? Does it do the Marshall thing? Does it do well with pedals?

Re: Blackheart Little Giant

I've personally used all 4 of Blackheart's offerings. If you are looking to get good controll over the eq, go for the Handsome Devil. I've had mine for over 2 years now and still love it.
    The problem I had with the Killer Ant and the Little Giant, was exactly what you mentioned. There is not enough control.
    The Handsome Devil has a master volume, gain control, and pressence. It makes it act different from the lesser two. Keep in mind, this is not the end all of the lunchboxes, but it's a good one.
    The amps natural tone is very Vox'ish, but you can get into that early Marshall tone very easily.
    They are well worth the $250 you can get them for.
    If you have any other questions about 'em, ask. I'd be happy to help.
    Last edited by karpathion; 01-13-2011, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Shop the best selection of popular guitars: ✅ guaranteed low price, ✅ free shipping, ✅ 0% financing, ✅ 8% back in rewards.

Comment

Originally posted by karpathion View Post
        I've personally used all 4 of Blackheart's offerings. If you are looking to get good controll over the eq, go for the Handsome Devil. I've had mine for over 2 years now and still love it.
        The problem I had with the Killer Ant and the Little Giant, was exactly what you mentioned. There is not enough control.
        The Handsome Devil has a master volume, gain control, and pressence. It makes it act different from the lesser two. Keep in mind, this is not the end all of the lunchboxes, but it's a good one.
        The amps natural tone is very Vox'ish, but you can get into that early Marshall tone very easily.
        They are well worth the $250 you can get them for.
        If you have any other questions about 'em, ask. I'd be happy to help.
        The Vox thing is not surprising with the el84 power section. I don't really intend to dime the thing for distorted tones. I usually find what I am looking for from pedals but the power section does need to be pushed a little to get there. 5w can still be damn loud but compared to 100w Superlead the difference in volume is palpable. If I can find a way to use the same pedals and cab at a fraction of the volume that would be a real boon.

Comment

I feel like the Little Giant is also sorta like a vox flavor. It didn't sound as smooth as I would have liked, and it's kinda muddy and indistinct with the volume past 8 or so. The natural light crunch with the volume on 5 is pretty cool, but all the more expensive heads can do the same thing and then some. The blackheart feels good to play, but it's a bit flat and generic in tone.

I'd look for a used Tweaker, AC15 or Night Train, or Blues Jr. Each of those amps can cop the same small amp feel but with a more complex tone.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
            I feel like the Little Giant is also sorta like a vox flavor. It didn't sound as smooth as I would have liked, and it's kinda muddy and indistinct with the volume past 8 or so. The natural light crunch with the volume on 5 is pretty cool, but all the more expensive heads can do the same thing and then some. The blackheart feels good to play, but it's a bit flat and generic in tone.

I'd look for a used Tweaker, AC15 or Night Train, or Blues Jr. Each of those amps can cop the same small amp feel but with a more complex tone.
            I'd like to rec. the pro junior over the blues junior. The blues junior is good but the basic overall tone of the pj is much better imho. Most people say the pj sounds more like a marshall amp than a fender amp too. Maybe it'd work out for you. It works for Jeff beck.
            Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
            Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by AudioWonderland View Post
              The Vox thing is not surprising with the el84 power section. I don't really intend to dime the thing for distorted tones. I usually find what I am looking for from pedals but the power section does need to be pushed a little to get there. 5w can still be damn loud but compared to 100w Superlead the difference in volume is palpable. If I can find a way to use the same pedals and cab at a fraction of the volume that would be a real boon.
              These things love pedals. They will take on the flavor of the pedals you use.
              I run mine through a custom 2x12 loaded with Governors. I lean towards a Marshall sound myself.

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post

I find them a little generic too, but I think that's the point.
              If I had the extra money, I would go for the tweaker myself. I don't think you can go wrong with that little monster.

Comment

Interesting idea as it would work with other amps as well if needed. I might be inclined to go with the MXR 10 band but a good idea to be sure

Comment

Originally posted by karpathion View Post
                  These things love pedals. They will take on the flavor of the pedals you use.
                  I run mine through a custom 2x12 loaded with Governors. I lean towards a Marshall sound myself.

I think about 90% of the old Marshall sound I like comes from the old greenback Celestions and similar clones.

Comment

I think about 90% of the old Marshall sound I like comes from the old greenback Celestions and similar clones.
                    you could certainly stick a new greenback with a blackheart and have something like what you want.
                    I had forgotten that the sort of "generic" sound of the BH5 means that good british-flavored speakers will instantly make it sound much more british, same with american speakers making it sound more american. They really take speaker changes very well. I personally went the american route when I had one. I used an eminence screamin eagle and the amp became quite clear, explosively punchy, and had a sweet chime. I think I only sold it in the name of experimentation, as that was my first tube amp.

If all you need is a platform for a few pedals, I'd say see if you can try one out somewhere or just get one from a place with a good return policy.

Comment

Interesting idea as it would work with other amps as well if needed. I might be inclined to go with the MXR 10 band but a good idea to be sure
                      This one is CHEAP! I own two and they are made decent enough. One is in the loop for my lead boost and the other is just general purpose.

Comment

oh hey that's the EQ I use. I don't use it very often now that I have the tweaker, but it's a fine pedal. Looks goofy but who's keeping track?

Comment

Working...
                        X