Lava Box Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lava Box Review

Played the Seymour Duncan Lava Box quite a bit tonight. Solid state Kustom Amp w/ a EV12L speaker, the Lava Box doing most of the dirty work.
    Short review of my Duncan Lava Box;
    Run, do not walk, to snag this pedal!
    Absolute bargain!
    Big thick ballsy tone with lots of definition and maintains the true charecter of the guitar as much and more than many distortions and very reponsive to pick attack.
    Cleans up with a light touch, but gets a very fat huge crunch and a creamy sustain with a heavier attack.
    Folks, this is something only Boo-Teek pedals are supposed to do.
    I honestly cant figure out why this great pedal has flown undr the radar?
    Look, Heres some of my distortion/fuzz pedals I have to compare it to;
    Boss od-1. Ibanez Ts-9 modified to 808 . Pro Co vintage Rat, Russian green muff, BYOC DOD 250+, Swollen Pickle, Shredmaster, Bluesdriver, Gainster, 808 Landgraff Clone.
    So I know a little about distortions
    Not sure about other guitars, but with my Mahogany Strat with good medium overwound rails , its grind/crunch Les Paul'ish sound all the way.
    Actually felt sort of like I had in front of me a pedal designed by a master, like he was in the room, just having built it, and I was trying it out..very awesome!

Thumbs up!
    Last edited by MetalManiac; 01-13-2011, 08:50 PM.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Re: Lava Box Review

i have one and with the right setup it does sounds great. i love that fact that its so thick and doesnt thin out like so many other dirt boxes.

Comment

i really like it too...almost bought one a few months ago.

i'm the kinda dude that has a hard time finding a dirt box he doesn't like tho.
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I LOVE MY LAVA BOX . . . into my Bassman, it (((SHAKES THE HOUSE )))
        Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

I got one 2 years ago for $59 when I got a retrosonic chorus from guitar adoptions in ILL. I have alot of modded pedals but this one stays in the chain. I have kept my keeley blues driver with it & they are great. I need to find my boss od 3 again because that is a great overdrive.

Comment

I like mine. The only complain I have, is it has a very attenuated top end and harmonics are a little weak, even with everything dimed. But for stoner rock type stuff, it's killer. It actually is at it's best with the rumble switch on 1 or 2 but with both the gain and volume dimed. It sounds like your amp is about blow up and there's no room for sloppy playing... I think you can hear your heartbeat through the guitar with that thing.

Cool pedal!!

Comment

Originally posted by IanBallard View Post
              I like mine. The only complain I have, is it has a very attenuated top end and harmonics are a little weak, even with everything dimed. But for stoner rock type stuff, it's killer. It actually is at it's best with the rumble switch on 1 or 2 but with both the gain and volume dimed. It sounds like your amp is about blow up and there's no room for sloppy playing... I think you can hear your heartbeat through the guitar with that thing.

Cool pedal!!
              Got mine on 1 , with gain lowered and volume at about 3/4. Like it through a moderatly clean amp at the edge of breakup volume.
              "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                Got mine on 1 , with gain lowered and volume at about 3/4. Like it through a moderatly clean amp at the edge of breakup volume.
                I was using it through an old Ampeg B-100, until the volume pot shot craps....super clean solid state. My 60w tube Crate's "clean" channel just sounded too muddled with it.

It would be neat to have it modded with a bright circuit switch so if I wanted more hardcore pinch harmonics, it could be done.

Comment

Working...
                X