X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugera V22 or V55

Hi People,

I've not been on in a while so Hi!

Does anyone own, or have any experience with either of these amps.

I've been project busy in work and so not had any time to get to work on my Amp project, and so was looking at amps and these have peeked my interest especially for cost. It leaves money for a new Axe!

I've You-tubed all the demos as there aren't any stockists around London that actually have them in stock where I can try one. I'm satisfied enough to enquire more.

I'm most interested in what volume levels it produces and what your running it at in the home.

My current SS Amp is an 80Watt that runs at about 15% most of the time. I figure a 22W Tube should be somewhere in the 50-60% area, so sensibly driving those valves.

Could you do a small club gig with the V22?

Comments please!

Phil
    "Well, if I knew I probably had to play this song for the rest of my life, I probably would have written something else! ...But it's too late you're stuck with this one" Joe Walsh on 'Rocky Mountain Way'
    Churchill - "Democracy is the worst form of Government. Except for all the others!"

Re: Bugera V22 or V55

Originally posted by Philcguitars View Post
    Could you do a small club gig with the V22?
    Yes, easily. I use a V22 at a weekly jam with some friends and our drummer hits harder as the night goes on but the Bug keeps up. We're not big on gigging but in a neighborhood bar setting you'd probably have to run it in Triode mode (11 watts) because Pentode (22 watts) would be too loud. A smaller size club or bigger bar you have either available as needed and in any good size room you're probably going to mic the amp anyway so all you need is something loud enough to carry your stage volume.

The V22 is a great little, cheap, amp that has doesn't have a cheap sound. I don't think it would be my main choice if I was a working musician and playing out a lot because the long term reliability of the amp is questionable. But it's perfect for a casual home player or someone who wants something inexpensive to bring to jams now and then.

Comment

Thanks for that.

At present when I play in my humble abode, I have no neighbour issues so play pretty loud. Your 'gig/jam scenario pretty much fits mine at present, so that answers my question. As for reliability it all depends on how you look after things, and while I know that the average Gig kit takes a pasting, I treat my kit exceptionally well, as I do my professional equipment at work.

Thanks for answering.

Phil
      "Well, if I knew I probably had to play this song for the rest of my life, I probably would have written something else! ...But it's too late you're stuck with this one" Joe Walsh on 'Rocky Mountain Way'
      Churchill - "Democracy is the worst form of Government. Except for all the others!"

Comment

I have a V22 and love it. It's a great sounding versatile amp and very reasonable price. Lots of options. The reverb is a very usable...nice warm sound that fills in and is not tinny sounding or overbearing like some.

The stock speaker is nothing to write home about. I tried it with a Celestion G12K and it made a world of difference. Then I tried it with an Eminence Swamp Thang and it is amazing. Rich articulate bass, warm mids, and very clear chimey highs. All frequencies are clear, distinct, articulate, balanced, warm sounding with some bite and growl. It is also a more efficient speaker so it also makes the amp a little bit louder sounding than with the stock speaker. Just my recommendation to make it sound as good as it can get (Swamp Thang, that is).

I play at home in pentode setting at about 30% volume (I play very loud at home...was receiving complaints from the neighbors one one side of my house so I moved my setup to the other side and haven't had any more complaints since). I like the snappier responce in pentode. In triode it's only a little bit quieter. It's supposedly about 60% the output as pentode, but it makes only a small audible difference.

Plenty of power for gigging.

It also takes pedals very well into the preamp. But it has an effects loop which I use for an EQ and power booster for clean lead boosts.

I've only had it for about a half year so I can't comment on longevity, but it seams very good so far.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Thanks again for the reply,

This is all good news for what I have in mind, and supports what I have picked up elsewhere. Also, though I don't own any I have used and would trust as a low budget mfr the parent company - Berringer.

Phil

Comment

Working...
          X