PA mixer and speakers suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PA mixer and speakers suggestion

Howdy everyone. I'm looking for a cheap PA mixer and a cabinent speaker. I'm going to plug a synth and two mics into the PA. I'm not looking to use the speakers very often for shows, I'll probably just be using them for VERY loud practice. I'm trying to keep it under 150-200 bucks for the whole thing. Do you guys have any suggestions?
    oh, btw I don't mind buying used to keep the price down
    Last edited by fusion101; 01-17-2011, 04:07 PM.
    Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
    The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Re: PA mixer and speakers suggestion

200 dollars and loud?

I think this can only lead to wasting 200 bucks.

I'd get a random Yamaha powermixer from craigslist and see what's left for speakers.

Comment

You really do get what you pay for in some cases. If you're looking for a loud PA then you're gonna have to throw down some green. Oh, and I'm talking about used equipment, but don't let that scare you. I've had better luck with used equipment over the last 34 years than I have with new. Just make sure you do a "group spit", so the equipment in question has no doubt to its place in the grand scheme!
      www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
        200 dollars and loud?

I think this can only lead to wasting 200 bucks.

I'd get a random Yamaha powermixer from craigslist and see what's left for speakers.
        +1000

i understand lots of reasons that you only can spend $200 but the end result isnt gonna be good. but...

go look for a used powered mixer, more power the better. mine is 500w @ 4 ohms x 2 and its enough for small and medium shows with good efficient speakers.

Just make sure you do a "group spit", so the equipment in question has no doubt to its place in the grand scheme!
        im a big fan of one individual owning each piece of gear. bands break up. if everyone put in money for the pa head then who gets it? is it the bands? who is the band? its always worked better in every situation ive been in that one person owns each piece of gear. i bought and own the pa head, you bought and own the speakers and stands, bobby bought and owns the monitors etc... when half the band breaks off to form another band they take what they own, you keep what you own. sure it may be a pita cause now the band doesnt have mains or speaker stands but at least you dont have to fight over who owns what.

Comment

So, yea 200 was in no way enough.

Thinking about getting this Behringer EurOlive B212XL 800-Watt 2-Way PA Speaker System with 12 Woofer And 1.75 Titanium Compression Driver

And this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A12EFHF0WZ5XZ0
          Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

Behringer mumble junk mumble trash mumble.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              im a big fan of one individual owning each piece of gear. bands break up. if everyone put in money for the pa head then who gets it? is it the bands? who is the band? its always worked better in every situation ive been in that one person owns each piece of gear. i bought and own the pa head, you bought and own the speakers and stands, bobby bought and owns the monitors etc... when half the band breaks off to form another band they take what they own, you keep what you own. sure it may be a pita cause now the band doesnt have mains or speaker stands but at least you dont have to fight over who owns what.
              Same here. I've paid for stuff before in the past only to see a band member walk off with it.

In my last cover band, our lead singer was dead set on buying a PA system. He sunk about $3500 in cables, mixer, amps, main speakers, cases, stands, and so on. We decided that the rest of the guys (4 of us) in the band would split the cost of 3 monitors. We made a deal that if the band broke up, someone could either buy one or we would sell them on craigslist.

Eventually we broke up, mainly because the lead singer had to move to New York for a job and partly because he his new girlfriend wanted to move (although there were plenty of other reasons). He sold his house and a ton of other stuff to get some money. He asked if I wanted the PA, and I told him no way I'm paying anywhere near $3k for the whole thing. He told me he'd sell it all to me for $1200. Sold. I paid out the other two guys for their monitors and I had the full setup for about $1500.

It could have been real ugly if the whole thing was shared.

Comment

Behringer mumble junk mumble trash mumble.
                Yeah, behringer is trash.............

It will be fine. Especially if this is mainly for practice.
                Originally posted by MikeS
                a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
                Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                whats becoming of this generation
                We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Comment

I don't even think you'll find something used at this price point... maybe on CL, someone local is trying to get rid of a crap PA, but even Scareinger doesn't have a PA for that cheap...

Here's the only thing I can find in that area:

Earn 8% in rewards w/free Backstage Pass membership on all pro audio equipment from signal processors to lighting & stage effects to headphones and software.

It come with a free mic, so that's cool!

But it's only 100W, so I dunno if that's gonna handle the volume you're needing

www.guardiancustoms.com

Comment

Originally posted by Reload in 5 View Post
                    Yeah, behringer is trash.............

It will be fine. Especially if this is mainly for practice.
                    Did you actually own one of their mixers?

I can't rule out that their other things works (don't own them) but I posted my mixer comparison a couple times already. Not recommended.

Comment

ive never had any luck with any behringer that had a power section. guitar amp, bass amp, powered mixer, powered speaker none of it mine, thank god, but all blew up at very in opportune times

Comment

Well, since Behringer blows, is there any worthwhile SPEAKER SYSTEM- not a mixer, just the speakers- for 150 bucks?

Comment

Well what the heck, here's my Behringer rant again.

Right now I own two mixers: a Behringer 2442 something or other that I bought new-in-box in 1997. A Tascam M-216 from ca 1986 that I boughtin 2008 or so. The Behringer was always under a cloth piece so that no dust enters the controls and it only very occasionally was used live. It was mostly my home mixer until 2000 and then mostly unused. The Tascam was the cheaptest on Ebay available, from some bar in Lousiana. It came covered in a thick layer of beer that was god knows how old, it might have been 20 years.

Half of the Behringer switches are malfunctioning some of the time, with some entirely bad. Most of the fader have annoying noise/scratch levels. The Tascam works fine.

Comment

On and the Tascam was $100.

Comment

Did you actually own one of their mixers?

I can't rule out that their other things works (don't own them) but I posted my mixer comparison a couple times already. Not recommended.
                              Most of my experience is with their speakers. We have a pair of them that have never had issues (been running them for about 3 years). We do have a small mixer that we use that as far as I know has never had an issue, but it isnt something I use and it isnt our main board.

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                              ive never had any luck with any behringer that had a power section. guitar amp, bass amp, powered mixer, powered speaker none of it mine, thank god, but all blew up at very in opportune times
                              See above, I have no power from them.

We may have a power amp come to think of it, that is running our monitors. I will have to check.
                              Originally posted by MikeS
                              a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
                              Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                              whats becoming of this generation
                              We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Comment

Working...
                              X