New Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Amp

I received this thing last tuesday but you know... I wanted to try it a bit before writing anything.

Vox Night-Train

I got a pretty sweet deal on this head, considering I'm in Canada... 360$ (canadian) including shipping and customs.

There seems to be many guys out there selling them, I dunno, maybe it's not appreciated a lot but I do really like it so far.
    I'm not gonna do a proper review. There are tons of those around, done by people who are much better than I am at reviewing amps.

I does pretty much all I wanted it to: great great cleans (very bright and chimey)... never was much of a vox fan but I really understand now.

The surprise for me was the "thick" mode. Crunchy to very dirty but still tight. No flabbyness or looseness... very suprising. It sounds amazing with any of my Les Pauls (even the p90-equipped junior). I kinda wish it were footswitch-accessible...

That thing sounds great through my 1x12 homemade cab, very impressive.

I was looking for something with great cleans to fit between my 1W Killer Ant and my 30/60W El Diablo... found it!

The bad: The seller assured me it was like new. When I plugged it in, I knew immediately something was wrong: the cleans were very very weak. I had to crank the volume to 10 (with the gain at 12:00) to get any volume at all. Touching the gain pot made some horrible noise and had the volume comeback for a few 10ths of a second. The thick mode was fine...

So, my fist hour with the amp was spent opening it up, removing the tubes, unscrewing every pot, unwrapping all the wires that were fastened, unplugging the terminals, unscrewing the board and flipping it over to redo the solder joints of the pot to the board... not an easy job (these guys really wanted to pack everything tightly!)....

It finally worked but I was disappointed: that wasn't "new condition" and anybody who would've played the amp for 10 seconds would've noticed... Furthermore, the nut were screwed crooked on the pot shaft (stripping a good deal of threads), showing that someone tried to retighten everything to try and fix the problem. I knew the problem wasn't due to shipping since the tubes were fine (come on: tubes survived to shipping perfectly but the pot that was screwed to the chassis and welded a screwed-to-the-chassis circuit board didn't??).

I contacted the seller who assured me that he didn't know about it and that it was perfectly fine when he shipped it...must be due to shipping (see my point above).

Anyhow: good thing I'm handy with a soldering iron, otherwise I'd be fighting with this dude... I'm guessing most folks would've just tried to get their money back. At least I got it working.

Here's a pic of it sitting on my cab.
    Cheers!

Re: New Amp

Sorry to hear about the condition it was received in, but it sounds like you set everything straight. I think you have yourself a very fine amp. That tone is superb. . .and the styling is excellent.

Comment

Re: New Amp

I remember the bright mode with the master almost dimed and the gain at around 12:00 to 2:00 was my favourite sound.

Love how it cleans up with a volume knob.

I think the night train does a great job bringing out the sound of tubes, you can really hear v1 and power tube changes.

If you get a chance to try it with a greenback, rock that thick mode and hear the greenback give up the goods. Great for a woman tone.

Comment

Working...
      X