Tube Amp question(s)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Amp question(s)?

Well, mainly fx loop questions. I've read other post about people plugging pre amps into their and bypassing the heads preamp and using the power amps. So can you do the opposite? What I mean is, can you bypass the power stage and run the preamp of the head or combo into an external power amp safely?

Hypothetical scenario. Lets say I have the a small 20 watt EL84 based head and one of the old Marshall power amps(you know, the ones that weigh as much as a Yugo), and I need more power, watts, volume, you get the picture....

Can they be safely conjoined at the preamp to work together as one amp? Obviously, it's going to change the character of the amp etc...
    Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Re: Tube Amp question(s)?

you can take any preamp and connect it directly to the FX return of your amp. The fx loop must be serial or you will get some volume and noise issues if it's parallel.

Comment

Metallica used to do just that. They had their Mark IIC+ heads which were run through Marshall heads, using the Marshall heads as power amps.
      Originally posted by ratherdashing
      If you don't see the value of a good 1 watt tube amp, it probably means one or more of the following:

- You live out in the country
      - You hate your neighbours
      - You mistakenly believe that your big amp with the master volume at 0.5 sounds good
      - You love solid state amps
      - You don't actually play guitar
      - You kick puppies

Comment

This is a good question....I'm just wondering...the amp being used as a preamp only - does its power section need to be connected to a speaker load in order to not harm the output transformer?

Comment

That would be my main concern, and if it is safe, how do you go about hooking it up?
          Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
            This is a good question....I'm just wondering...the amp being used as a preamp only - does its power section need to be connected to a speaker load in order to not harm the output transformer?
            yes, you always must connect the power section to a speaker load, no matter if you are using just the preamp section.

Comment

Working...
            X