Carr amps suck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carr amps suck!

Just kidding! But, a contraversial title will get the views and I'm really hoping for some good input. The Carr Mercury has everything I'm looking for in a practice amp except the price.

Can anyone recommend alternatives for about half the price or less?
    "Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Re: Carr amps suck!

Hmmm... I'd like to see this too.
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

I played one for about 30 minutes with my PRS McCarty Rosewood.

I have to admit it sounds beautiful when you crank it. The tenth-watt setting is ideal for practice. Above the half-watt setting, it really starts to shine.

Like you, the price was an issue for me as well. Not because I can't afford it, but because there was a much more dynamic and bigger sounding 65 London right next to it at a similar price point. I just could not justify buying a "small" amp at that price point.
      "He who is a legend in his own time is ruled by that legend."
      - Victor Hugo

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.K View Post
        http://www.carramps.com/mercury.html

Can anyone recommend alternatives for about half the price or less?
        Nope...not one that I know of.

Here is the deal my man...you're looking at a fantastic, handmade guitar amp for $2200 or so bucks...thats a reasonable price these days for such a piece.

You have to decide are you going to get the amp that "has everything you want" or are you gonna buy some low dollar piece that don't have "everything you want" becasue it's less money??

You can find used Merc's for $1500 and less all the time...thats not half but it is less than $2300 and Steve Carr and crew make amazing amp, well made and super high quality, well worth the asking price.
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post

Here is the deal my man...you're looking at a fantastic, handmade guitar amp for $2200 or so bucks...thats a reasonable price these days for such a piece.

You have to decide are you going to get the amp that "has everything you want" or are you gonna buy some low dollar piece that don't have "everything you want" becasue it's less money??

You can find used Merc's for $1500 and less all the time...thats not half but it is less than $2300 and Steve Carr and crew make amazing amp, well made and super high quality, well worth the asking price.

I'd agree on all counts but there's several underlying reasons for something less expensive.

-I'm freaking poor.

-My wife would kick me in the testicles for spending that on an amp.

-I'm not a good enough player to deserve an amp that good.

-I'm not worthy of an amp of greatness.

I'm working on several of these problems but have a long way to go and I'd like to get something that inspires me to be a better player and practice more.

-

Comment

like christian said, there isnt anything out there like it that i know of. they are great little amps and punchy for 8w. a friend of mine had one with a g12h and i did a few gigs with it mic'd and it was killer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.K View Post
              I'd agree on all counts but there's several underlying reasons for something less expensive.

-I'm freaking poor.

-My wife would kick me in the testicles for spending that on an amp.

-I'm not a good enough player to deserve an amp that good.

-I'm not worthy of an amp of greatness.

I'm working on several of these problems but have a long way to go and I'd like to get something that inspires me to be a better player and practice more.

-
              the first two are valid, the second two not so much; the notion of gear being commenserate with ability is silly

Comment

Originally posted by sbecker67 View Post
                the first two are valid, the second two not so much; the notion of gear being commenserate with ability is silly
                This! If the second 2 were true I'd be rockin' a Paper Jamz guitar through an 80's era boombox.
                Donnie
                ---------
                VVT Raptor 60W

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post

I just found for $1650 OBO. Now, anyone want to loan me some cash. lol

Comment

Not too familiar with the Merc, but a while back I was really considering the Slant 6V. Great amp. I wound up buying a Bogner instead but that amp was very tempting.
                    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Working...
                    X