Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Crate) Blackheart Hot Head BH100H Construction

Has anyone seen the guts of this amp?

I want to know if the pots and tube sockets are mounted onto printed circuit boards like Bugeras, or if they are point to point mounted on the chassis and connected to the PCB from hookup wire.

I'm sure they are probably not PTP...but I can dream can't I?

Does anyone have pics of the guts/wiring? It would be greatly appreciated
    "From forest caves and azure skies,
    we crashed upon this earth."

Re: (Crate) Blackheart Hot Head BH100H Construction

Theres some pictures of a "little Giant" here...

Appears to be PCB mounted on that one...I'd assume the rest of their line-up has the same setup.
    www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
    I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Comment

Originally posted by Low_fidelity2100 View Post
      Theres some pictures of a "little Giant" here...

Appears to be PCB mounted on that one...I'd assume the rest of their line-up has the same setup.
      Cool man, thanks for the link.

That's what I was afraid of, I'm sure the Hot Head is probably the same way. Shoots down both Blackheart and Bugera amps in my book.

I know that Diezel mounts tube sockets to a PCB on some of their amps, but they HAVE to be doing it in a better way than Bugera and Blackheart do. I just can't trust the reliability of PCB mounted pots, and from what I understand, PCB mounted tube sockets make it a ***** to replace/switch out the tubes without blowing your goods up aftterwards.

Comment

Apparently Krank amps also have PCB mounted tube sockets, but I've heard nothing but good things about their reliability i.e. you can drop them and they still work, etc. Also, looks like the pots on the Krankenstein are chassis-mounted...which is a very good thing.

Anyone have experience with the Krankenstein/Krankenstein Plus? Toured/beat the hell out of one?

Comment

Dang...I guess VHT/Fryette also uses PCB mounted tube sockets, and their amps are rock solid. Maybe this isnt such a bad thing? Depending on how its done of course. I do know for a fact though that PCB mounted pots suck for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattallica View Post
            Dang...I guess VHT/Fryette also uses PCB mounted tube sockets, and their amps are rock solid. Maybe this isnt such a bad thing? Depending on how its done of course. I do know for a fact though that PCB mounted pots suck for sure.
            Most "affordable" modern/new amps are gonna have PCB mounted Tube Sockets. Just how things are now unfortunately.

Thats why I just buy Vintage Fender amps, haha.

PCB mounted Tube sockets aren't as horrible as some make them out to be...is like you said..a matter of how they're manufactured. Some do it great, and can make for a very well built amp, Others **** it all up and make garbage. The phrase "you get what you pay for" applies here.
            The Black Heart, Bugera, Jet City, Epiphone, etc... "cheap" tube amps... All good sounding amps, all have cool features, etc...All are great, for what you pay for them.
            But if you're going to be gigging, banging the amps around, etc... I wouldn't trust any of them to hold up long term. But, for the price, they're still great.
            www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
            I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Comment

PCB tube sockets in a head never hurt me. It in a combo (upside down) where it seems like it could be a problem (heat radiates upwards!).

I'd trust blackheart to gig with, but it's the only budget amp I've owned so far, so I can't comment on the other ones. Built solid. Thick circuit boards, solid looking traces.

Comment

Originally posted by Low_fidelity2100 View Post
                Most "affordable" modern/new amps are gonna have PCB mounted Tube Sockets. Just how things are now unfortunately.

Thats why I just buy Vintage Fender amps, haha.

PCB mounted Tube sockets aren't as horrible as some make them out to be...is like you said..a matter of how they're manufactured. Some do it great, and can make for a very well built amp, Others **** it all up and make garbage. The phrase "you get what you pay for" applies here.
                The Black Heart, Bugera, Jet City, Epiphone, etc... "cheap" tube amps... All good sounding amps, all have cool features, etc...All are great, for what you pay for them.
                But if you're going to be gigging, banging the amps around, etc... I wouldn't trust any of them to hold up long term. But, for the price, they're still great.
                What are your feelings on the 100w dual showman 80's red knob head? I'm thinking about buying one of those.

sorry for taking this thread all over the place, but I'm learning alot of stuff! Thanks for the replys everyone!

Comment

I have a Blackheart, Handsome Devil. It is PCB mounted, but, I've had mine for almost 3 years and have yet to have a problem.
                  Note: the pcb is HUGE! It is way bigger than it should be. I don't think heat dissipation is a problem with these amps. You should see the size of these lead traces!
                  I'll take a pic if I can remember tomorrow.

Comment

I used to own one of these heads, they are built like a tank, and they are well worth the asking price!
                    "Do you think the bass is taking away from the vocals?" Dirk Diggler

Comment

PCB mounted tube sockets and pots shouldn't be a deal killer. So many amps go that route these days and they do seem to have a respectable lifespan as long as they are handled with some degree of care. Every amp/construction type has its vulnerabilities.

Techs like myself like to b!tch about PCB amps...mainly because servicing them can be far more involved and a bit more expensive. Some modern PCB amps are not supported by a manufacturer's parts program leaving a tech with no option other than to improvise. Some guys elect to not have their amps repaired or never pick it up after it has been repaired because of the cost even though I gave them an estimate and they gave me the go ahead to proceed.
                      Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

Originally posted by mrfunnyman View Post
                        I used to own one of these heads, they are built like a tank, and they are well worth the asking price!
                        The Fender Showman or the Blackheart Hot Head?

Comment

I would most definately get the Blackheart head over the red knob Fender showman.
                          Fender amps from the 60's up to about 73 are my favorite amps, and the "Rivera" era are nicely made aswell, but I just think those red knob era Fenders are crap like alot of the other stuff fender was putting out around that time. But honestly it all comes down to personal taste.

I was a bit skeptical about buying a Blackheart and then I watched this video and I was sold.

The Blackheart Hothead is a 100 Watt firebeather of a guitar head. With features like Class A or AB operation, effects loop, and a pentode / triode switch t...
                          "Do you think the bass is taking away from the vocals?" Dirk Diggler

Comment

Originally posted by Mattallica View Post
                            Cool man, thanks for the link.
                            That's what I was afraid of, I'm sure the Hot Head is probably the same way. Shoots down both Blackheart and Bugera amps in my book.
                            Damn, this sucks. I bought a Made In The USA 1992 Soldano Hot Rod 50 head about a year and a half ago. I fell in love with it and the honeymoon continues. Best tone I have ever had and it is my favorite amp of all time. Built like a tank. Now I gotta sell it because it's junk and it has PCB mounted pots and preamp tube sockets. Sheesh. I wish you had warned me sooner. At least I still have my unreliable Russian built (from Russian military over stock parts) MIG 60. It has chassis mounted pots and sockets so it has to be a premium amp. Thankfully it's still collecting dust in my music room and I found this thread before I unloaded it on someone.

Got any advice on set neck versus bolt neck guitars that might be helpful?

Comment

Originally posted by PCBMountedPots View Post
                              Damn, this sucks. I bought a Made In The USA 1992 Soldano Hot Rod 50 head about a year and a half ago. I fell in love with it and the honeymoon continues. Best tone I have ever had and it is my favorite amp of all time. Built like a tank. Now I gotta sell it because it's junk and it has PCB mounted pots and preamp tube sockets. Sheesh. I wish you had warned me sooner. At least I still have my unreliable Russian built (from Russian military over stock parts) MIG 60. It has chassis mounted pots and sockets so it has to be a premium amp. Thankfully it's still collecting dust in my music room and I found this thread before I unloaded it on someone.

Got any advice on set neck versus bolt neck guitars that might be helpful?

Seriously, this thread is almost 5 years old. And you made an account to argue with someone who doesn't even come here anymore?

Comment

Working...
                              X