amp cabinets help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amp cabinets help

is a 280w 4x12 cab as loud as a 400w 4x12 with the same 100w tube head? What would be the best cab for a tube head under $600?

Re: amp cabinets help

SPL (sound pressure level) determines the volume level, not watts. Watts is the amount of power the cabinet handles, the efficiency of the drivers (SPL) and build type of the cabinet will do more to determine overall volume.

100w tube head through any 4x12 will be super loud.

What kind of head are you using and what sound are you going for?
    - KEVIN

MY BAND: http://thefathom.bandcamp.com

Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
    Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4
    Ibanez SR3006; Ibanez BTB1005

Originally posted by DankStar
    I'm the Betty Crocker Easy Bake OvenŽ of riffs. Ding! Another batch is done.

Comment

its all about speaker efficiency and which cabinet has the more efficient speakers. even then, I find that some speakers are voiced in a way that they naturally cut through better than others.

check the used market for mesa and marshall cabs. most cabs are designed ok and are durable enough, just gotta find one with good speakers in it. also check out avatar cabs. you can get a well made 4x12, in a custom tolex and grill color, and a variety of speaker choices for about $570 shipped.
      Beer me!
      Originally posted by Kam
      ...This machine runs on pr0n.

Comment

I want a very versatile amp that can do very good warm cleans (maybe with a little grit in there), 80's style rock mostly, metal(not death metal but something around ozzy with zakk at the heaviest) and everything in between. I don't mind having to use a distortion pedal for heavy metal. I'm thinking about the blackstar ht 100 head and a b-52 st-412 cab. I'm very open to new different amps but they must be around the 1300-1500 or less range.

Comment

Working...
        X