Bass Tube Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass Tube Heads

To my bass bro's which tube head do you like? and which one is the best bang for the buck?

Give me your pros and cons
    BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
    Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
    Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
    Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
    Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
    Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
    Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
    Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
    Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
    Gibson EBO

Re: Bass Tube Heads

Original SVT. Brings the thunder!

Fender Bassman SF is also a good way to go for a smaller rig.
    sigpic
    "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
    --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
    Originally posted by Lewguitar
    In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

If I had to buy a bass tube amp, it would be this one:

but, for grab and go, I would take this one:

Last edited by crguti; 03-10-2011, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crguti View Post
        If I had to buy a bass tube amp, it would be this one:

+1 - I have one, best bass amp ever made.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

SVT (Original)
          I used to own this and use it with the Ampeg 8-10 inch speakers cabinet. (Too heavy)

Acoustic 470 (This is a Guitar and Bass amp head with a ‘Lead/Bass’ built-in switching system and graphic EQ)
          I used to own and use the 476 cabinet with the folded horn and then the 474 cabinet with the 6-12inch speakers (Heavy mothers - both of them, sold them both!)
          I still have the Acoustic 470 head and now use it with a Hartke HyDrive HX115 cabinet (Lighter and can still deliver the punch and clarity)
          Last edited by Stratman; 03-13-2011, 03:19 AM. Reason: Added cabinet information
          Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
          When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
          Red Devils - 1% all the way!
          Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
          Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

svt baby!! nothing sounds like it. sounds good at low volume and sounds amazing at high volume. the only real down side is that its heavy as hell but what do you expect from the best bass amp ever.

the closest thing to it is the svt3pro, ss power section but it works damn well.

old sunn stuff is nice too. i dont remember the acoustic being tube but i could be wrong

Comment

Let's not leave Music Man out of this...they made some killer tube bass amps. The HD-130 and HD-150 will get you there.

One of the tricks that keep the SVT on top of the tube bass amp game is their cabinets. The "infinite baffle" way to make them is key..they have a seperate chamber for each of the speakers in a cab, and the cabs cancel out the fundamental, so all you get is the good harmonics. That's why a bass sounds evenly loud across all strings and notes.
              - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
              Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
              The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Pros: They sound amazing

Cons: They weigh a million pounds and cost more than a kidney to retube
                -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                  Pros: They sound amazing

Cons: They weigh a million pounds and cost more than a kidney to retube
                  They're heavy alright. I recently got an Acoustic B-200 1x15 combo...not as tubey and warm as the Music Man, but ten times easier to move.

Still, it doesn't heat up like the tube jobs...after about two hours, those things get downright scary, in a good way.
                  Last edited by guitfiddle; 03-10-2011, 09:24 AM.
                  - Tom

Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.

Comment

mmmmm...Music Man amps

- Tom

Comment

it would be nice to have a tube bass amp, but for convenience I use

this is the sh*t.

Comment

I've played thru a all tube SVT and it sounds full, warm......but heavy as Gov't mule. I have the Fender 300w all tube head which is a Sunn amp with a Fender face plate. It's about as close to a SVT without the price, but still heavy. I am interested in the Orange amp, I've heard good things about it. I have a AH300 trace Elliot but it was a hybrid, and I love that stuff.
                        BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
                        Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
                        Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
                        Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
                        Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
                        Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
                        Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
                        Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
                        Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
                        Gibson EBO

Comment

"Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I have an old mesa D-180 that is essentially half of my band's tone. This thing sounds amazing for rock music and is just loud enough. I paid around $600 for mine a few years ago but it needs to have tons of work done. Retubing runs about $100 but it doesn't seem to eat tubes very often.

My tax return is going to be a Mesa Bass 400+. No question. It will go perfectly with my Cerwin Vega folded horn 18" cabinet. Next I just need a truck ahahahaha.

I don't like Ampegs but (1) I like a dirty bass tone with the low mids and (2) I have yet to play a 'real' tube Ampeg. Did not like the SVT4.

Edit: Some of my favorite bass tones have come from Ampeg: RAGE = SVT2; AFI = SVT Classic.
                            Last edited by ksmith63; 03-12-2011, 07:37 PM.
                            - KEVIN

MY BAND: http://thefathom.bandcamp.com

Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
                            Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4
                            Ibanez SR3006; Ibanez BTB1005

Originally posted by DankStar
                            I'm the Betty Crocker Easy Bake OvenŽ of riffs. Ding! Another batch is done.

Comment

As a newbie bass player, Im watching and learning

I currently have an Ampeg BA115. No Carvin mentioned?? What makes the SVT and Mesa so special??
                              Last edited by BloodRose; 03-12-2011, 08:23 PM.
                              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                              X