2010 Dual Rec/tube swap Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Dual Rec/tube swap Review

I am posting this to help others who had the same question I had. I purchased the 2010 "New" Dual rec with a lot of "wants". The amp to me, stock sounded GREAT! BUT after a while I missed the crunch of EL 34s, so I swapped the power tubes to EL 34s (mesa tubes) and put in a tung sol(ts-12ax7) and a EC83(mu-12ax7) in v1 & v2. This made the amp to me (stess to me) a hybrid between a marshall and a boogie ( I Tried a electro harm and it sounded really tinny). The EC83 seemed to round out the sound perfectly with the EL34s. On the 3rd channel if I push the bass still sounds like a boogie with the overwhelming low end..

Hope this this helps and it was literally done with the help of this forum!!!!!!!

SO THANKS!

Re: 2010 Dual Rec/tube swap Review

play with your band and tell me if you hear the tube tone difference.

Comment

I've changed my tubes as well, very similar to what you have, still can't get the "cut" I like. Bye bye Dual Rec, hello Stiletto Duece!!

Cheers Primo.
      GEAR: 2008 Gibson Les Paul Custom(ebony) w/ C8 & PGn, 2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom(cream)w/ C8 & SD APII , '95 Epi LP Gold Top w/ JB & '59, '97 Fender Am Std Strat(Black) w/SD aps-1, '84 Profile Strat(Black), '06 Black Epiphone Korina Flying V w/EMG's, '04 Epiphone Dot w/JB & Jazz, Squier 50's Vibe Telecaster butterscotch blonde w/SD Hot Rail bridge, Marshall JVM410Head & Marshall TV4X12 cab w/V30's, Marshall DSL40C 1X12 combo, VOX AC30CC 2X12 combo.

Comment

So you're just using stock Boogie power tubes?

People have laughed at me before for this, but I run Boogie-branded power tubes in all my tube amps. Might not necessarily be ideal, but they are consistent! I just figure that whatever gain in tone I might have found with NOS tubes is probably rendered moot considering my less-than-perfect technique.
        Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
        I like having the stop bar all the way down. Sue me. I've got like six dollars.

Comment

Boogie preamp tubes are the same as JJ
          tone slut
          Marshall DSL 40C
          Fender EVH Striped Series
          Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
          Fender Squier Tele Affinity
          Mogami cables

Comment

Originally posted by ken361 View Post
            Boogie preamp tubes are the same as JJ
            I think they are now, but they used to be EHX (Russian 2s?)...I greatly prefer the EHX.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by Binnerscot View Post
              I think they are now, but they used to be EHX (Russian 2s?)...I greatly prefer the EHX.
              have a pic? maybe there sovteks?
              tone slut
              Marshall DSL 40C
              Fender EVH Striped Series
              Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
              Fender Squier Tele Affinity
              Mogami cables

Comment

Originally posted by ken361 View Post
                have a pic? maybe there sovteks?
                Sorry no pics, but I spent a lot of time on the Boogie forum for a couple of years. There is a chart/post or two about which Mesa tubes are what, I can't find it at the moment.

Don't quote me, but I think Russian 1s are Sovtek, Russian 2s are EHX (I am sure of that one)....they have used other tubes over the years, but I don't know them all.

I do believe they started using JJs right about the time the Mark V was released.

I dug this up, it is older but it gives you a good starting point.

http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/tubes.html

It was taken from this thread which has a lot of good info.
                Last edited by Binnerscot; 04-09-2011, 07:59 AM.
                Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Agreed that the newer "Reborn" Dual Rectos sound great with EL34's.

Will have to check out your preamp tube swap some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Binnerscot View Post
                    I do believe they started using JJs right about the time the Mark V was released.
                    In 2008 New Sensor changed the specs on their tubes and they started failing in the cathode follower positions on various Mesa amps as they could no longer handle the voltages present in those positions.

As a result Mesa switched to JJ.
                    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
                      In 2008 New Sensor changed the specs on their tubes and they started failing in the cathode follower positions on various Mesa amps as they could no longer handle the voltages present in those positions.

As a result Mesa switched to JJ.
                      Interesting. I didn't know why, I just remembered the ball park time-frame because I bought one of the first hundred or so Mark Vs.

Comment

Working...
                      X