Keeley Ultra Mod DS-1... Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeley Ultra Mod DS-1... Help?

My Keeley SEM Ultra Mod kit got here yesterday so lastnight I put it in the pedal. I plugged it in and the tone is much better than stock, very amp like, and it even cleans up very well now when you roll the volume off! The only problem is the mod gave the pedal a really loose low end.... and I like a tight, crunchy low end. With my Strat plugged in it wasn't too bad, it really gives the single coils a lot more body and fullness but I mainly play humbucker equiped guitars and it is just too loose and bassy more me with humbuckers. Does anyone know of any changes I could make to the pedal to give it a tighter low end?
    Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Re: Keeley Ultra Mod DS-1... Help?

Turn it off and turn on a Keeley Tube Screamer - that's what Steve Vai did when he was using an Ultra Mod. The Ultra DS-1 couldn't keep up with him, because it's sloppy in the lows; not tight enough. Now he has that pink swirly double pedal which does pretty much the same thing.

I've had a Ultra or two in the past. Sorry I don't have a suggestion for fixing it, but yeah, the Ultra has a mushy low end. Even I could hear it, and that's saying something. I like the Allums Recto mod better, but I haven't played mine in a while, so I can't comment on its bottom.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
      Turn it off and turn on a Keeley Tube Screamer - that's what Steve Vai did when he was using an Ultra Mod. The Ultra DS-1 couldn't keep up with him, because it's sloppy in the lows; not tight enough. Now he has that pink swirly double pedal which does pretty much the same thing.

I've had a Ultra or two in the past. Sorry I don't have a suggestion for fixing it, but yeah, the Ultra has a mushy low end. Even I could hear it, and that's saying something. I like the Allums Recto mod better, but I haven't played mine in a while, so I can't comment on its bottom.
      Alright thanks for the info, I'll give it a try for a little while, if not I'll just sell it or trade it.

Comment

Yes you can shape the eq differently. The duncans tone stack claculator will help. Theres also some good guidance on the premier guitar link too. Just cos keely type mods are poular does not mean that its perfect fpr you specifically...

tone,stack,calculator,fender,vox,marshall,baxandall,software,download,simulation
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
          Yes you can shape the eq differently. The duncans tone stack claculator will help. Theres also some good guidance on the premier guitar link too. Just cos keely type mods are poular does not mean that its perfect fpr you specifically...

http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/
          Thanks! I'll check them out.

Comment

Looking back, didn't mean to imply that the Ultra Mod is bad. It's certainly a big step up from the stock DS-1. However, it does have a loose bottom end - or at least you, I, and Steve Vai all think so.

It's worth having in your bag of tricks. Used DS-1s are so cheap, it's practical to have a couple flavors around.

PM ImmortalSix to join this thread. He'll give you a positive review of the Allums Recto mod; he bought one from me.
            Last edited by Rich_S; 04-03-2011, 08:37 PM.
            Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
            Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
              Looking back, didn't mean to imply that the Ultra Mod is bad. It's certainly a big step up from the stock DS-1. However, it does have a loose bottom end - or at least you, I, and Steve Vai all think so.

It's worth having in your bag of tricks. Used DS-1s are so cheap, it's practical to have a couple flavors around.

PM ImmortalSix to join this thread. He'll give you a positive review of the Allums Recto mod; he bought one from me.
              Alright. Ya it is a good sounding pedal, its just not for me. Through my amp I actually kind of like the stock ds-1. I play a Peavey Delta Blues with a 15' speaker and it seems too smooth the tone of the pedal out more, sounds good through my Windsor stack too. I've thought about buying a couple used ones and trying different mods on all of them. Thanks

Comment

if you want smooth, then just put two leds in the clipping section
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                  if you want smooth, then just put two leds in the clipping section
                  Ok I'll give it a try. I just got done reading the other thread about modding ds-1's that you commented on.

Comment

Working...
                  X