Speaker types and styles...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker types and styles...

What I am asking for is recommendations... What is the next closest thing to a Greenback? Is it the G12H? Midrange wise...
    I play a cross between a fat Texas Blues, Nashville Chicken Pickin' and Memphis Soul. Let's just call it a David Grissom style... with just as much gain.
    My main amp is a Marshall JTM 45 through a 4X12 cabinet, Barber gain boxes.
    I have always got along with Celestion G12T75's and Greenbacks because of the Mids never getting in the way... for maxim Snap and Twang when needed.
    When I have tried other speakers, there is a particular midrange that I don't like when picking close to the bridge or for maximum snap.
    This includes nearly every Eminence speaker including Cannabis Rex, Private Jack, Texas Heat... many of their most popular speakers.
    I don't care for V30's... and I was surprised when I played through some vintage G12-65's that I didn't care for them.
    They reminded me of Cannabis Rex! I don't think this is right... must have been just those particular speakers. Guess there were a lot of different G12-65's through the years.

I have heard the 75M Scumbacks online... what I heard sounded great.
    Just any ideas at all... I am trapped in a city with nothing to do... LOL
    "Play like a Champion"
    PRS DGT, Fender Tele and Strat
    Marshall JTM45 w/ Creambacks
    Fav SD Pups C5, Jazz, PG's, 59's

Re: Speaker types and styles...

the g12m has a nice mid range, smooth top and soft bottom. the g12t75 has a tight clean bottom, a somewhat subdued mid range and clear top end. fairly different speakers.

im a big fan of the g12m, not so much of the g12t75.

the g12h is pretty different than the g12m. bigger bottom, more aggressive mids and highs.

what do you have now and what dont you like about them?

Comment

Re: Speaker types and styles...

Well I just got some Greenbacks, and I love the tone... It really is the spkr for me.
      But they both came with loose dust covers! So in lies my inquiry.
      Because there is this quiet but noticeable speaker distortion all the time.
      I just have to ship them back and replace them...
      But if I ran into further trouble... more loose dust covers let's say.
      I wanted to learn of some options.

I have used G12T75's my whole life... LOL It's been forever... it's insane.
      So I am really enjoying these Greenbacks, Aside from the loose dust covers.

Is there a higher wattage Greenback that still retains that tone?

Update: The speakers are fine.... I isolated them in separate cabinets and they are ok.
      The problem is either mixing them or the actual freq of the cabinet... something strange.
      Last edited by sonnyblu; 04-02-2011, 11:34 AM.
      "Play like a Champion"
      PRS DGT, Fender Tele and Strat
      Marshall JTM45 w/ Creambacks
      Fav SD Pups C5, Jazz, PG's, 59's

Comment

Working...
      X