Retolexing a cab question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retolexing a cab question.

On average, how much material does it take to retolex a cab?
    Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Re: Retolexing a cab question.

I swear I read this someplace recently. Maybe at www.mojotone.com? I was surprised at how little it was. Like a yard for a 1x12 or something?
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Ahh yeah, I should have specified lol. It would be a 4x12 cab!

Comment

Some good info here: http://jam4jmessageboard.websitetool...ost?id=2418813
        ---------------------------
        The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

I did a head + 4x12 cab with 5 yards, with a bit of extra. You could do both with 4 yards if not for that annoyingly wide back panel on the 4x12!
          www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Kevorkian View Post
            I did a head + 4x12 cab with 5 yards, with a bit of extra. You could do both with 4 yards if not for that annoyingly wide back panel on the 4x12!
            Actually, I picked up a cheap Crate 4x12 on craigslist for $35 to practice on first. Surprisingly, it's a decent cabinet structure wise. The basic frame of the cab is 3/4" plywood. The only MDF I can see on it at the moment is a the bracing, but that's an easy fix. If I muck it up, oh well, it was only $35 for the cab and whatever I end up paying for the tolex. I was going to need another cab for the DSL anyway after I "replace" the Tremoverb(thinking dual rect roadking on that now). If it turns out good, then awesome, if not then it was a learning experience that I've not yet done! The only thing I'm kind of worried about is doing the new piping.

I gutted the Crate cab today. The speakers were laughable at best. I've seen bigger magnets on car speakers. I'm not sure what I'll put in there yet, but one step at a time for this adventure.

Comment

You want 4 yards for a 4x12, and this is enough to allow for mistakes.
              -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
              “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I bought 6 mts and am finally in the process of re-covering one of my old orange cabs. I bought extra because I want to do 2 back panels, the standard one and a panel with a cut out to see whether or not it affects the sound.

Comment

Working...
                X