NAD - Finally!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD - Finally!!

Finally got around to picking up the Tweaker Combo which I've had on layby for ages. A combination of a late job payment and a serious amount of wood jammed into my knee (MTB accident) has delayed me picking up this amp.

I must say that coming from a Vox VT30, everything seems much more full and round.......but I've only been able to do bedroom volumes so far, so the power tubes must be feeling quite neglected.

Its actually a bit muffled at these volumes, but what I found with the VT was that it got very brittle once you got past bedroom volume. I feel that the tonal balance will get much better once the speaker cone starts moving properly.

I'm liking the Fender settings more than I thought I would. They seem almost the perfect platform for a lot of the Bluesy OD pedals which I have.

I also can't wait to get the Plexitone fired up. Through the Vt's 1 cleantone it was almost unbearably bright, however I've now got 12 or so possibilities for fine-tuning. I'll try and get the closest to that Bassman tone Pete Thorn has in that great Youtube clip. I have a feeling that may be on the AC setting.

Re: NAD - Finally!!

Nice! Happy NAD!

post some clips if you get a chance!

Comment

Congrats! Got mine about 5 months ago and still really like it.
      If I'm playing clean at home, I like to get the master volume up to just about 1 o clock, and then slowly increase the gain from zero until I can hear myself. Then I get a sweet, bright, punchy clean.
      I ended up getting a cheap attenuator for mine, and now I've got bedroom playing covered pretty well. If you wanna use it at home a lot, I'd say get one, you'll like it.

Comment

I have been interested in these amps. I am still searching for my first toob amp. I am looking at the new Vox amp designed by Tony Bruno. That think looks ****.

Comment

Congrats on the new amp! I really like my head. They actually do very well at home levels to me.

Comment

tweaking is addictive.. I really like mine.. If I wasnt so hooked on the particular tone of my QR and JCM800, Id be set with the Tweaker.. It gives alot of good tonal choices and sounds good at low volumes and cranked

Congrats!!
            Last edited by BloodRose; 04-02-2011, 04:11 PM.
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
              tweaking is addictive.. I really like mine.. If I wasnt so hooked on the particular tone of my QR and JCM800, Id be set with the Tweaker.. It gives alot of good tonal choices and sounds good at low volumes and cranked

Congrats!!
              I've had no ability to compare a JCM800 to the tweaker. Are there some settings you think do the best approximation of a JCM?

Comment

Its hard to say.. My JCM is modded, so it isnt standard. If I ever get the chance to get both amps out again, ill try and let you know.. I had written down the settings for a pretty decent brown tone and I cant for the life of me find them since we moved...
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I love my NAD'S.
                  "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Thanks for the replies all.

I'll be most interested too, if either the JCM 800 or brown tone settings can be found.

I got a chance to raise the volume a bit this morning. Certainly made things a bit more cutting tone-wise. I'm seeming to like the vintage settings at volume, as it seems to give a bit more warmth and allows the natural guitar tone to come through.

I've also given the Marshall setting a bit of a blast too. Very nice. I think it will take me a loooong time to sort out the very best setting for each guitar/pedal combo.....they all sound really good.

Comment

Take care of those NADs, they'll come in handy some day.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Sweet! I haven't had the chance to play one of those but I'd really like to. They seem like awesome little amps.

Congratulations, man.
                        I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                          Thanks for the replies all.

I'll be most interested too, if either the JCM 800 or brown tone settings can be found.

I got a chance to raise the volume a bit this morning. Certainly made things a bit more cutting tone-wise. I'm seeming to like the vintage settings at volume, as it seems to give a bit more warmth and allows the natural guitar tone to come through.

I've also given the Marshall setting a bit of a blast too. Very nice. I think it will take me a loooong time to sort out the very best setting for each guitar/pedal combo.....they all sound really good.

If I can find the brown settings, Ill post em...

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                          X