banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crate 4x12 cab recovering project has begun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate 4x12 cab recovering project has begun!

First off, to you guys that have done this a few times, my hat is off to you good sirs! Getting that tolex off was a real PITA! Holy crap that was some work! And staples, OMFG! The dude with the piping job got a little happy with the staple gun on this cab. I haven't even braved tearing the baffle down yet, there's got to be 200 or more staples in that dam thing. I'm going to see if I can find a tool to make it a little easier to get them out of there.

Onward! My camera decided it wanted to malfunction and I lost all my beginning pics. It basically looked like this minus the Crate badge and had some tears and dings in the tolex.

And here's what I'm working with now!

For what I paid for it, I'm impressed with the build quality. I mentioned in my tolex thread, The frame and baffle are 13ply plywood. The only MDF I found on it was the bracing and I think the back panel. I've not stripped it yet. I may add some 2x2 bracing in later if I think it's going to be necessary.

Now I need to decide on what tolex, piping, and grill cloth I'm going to use. Whatever I do go with, I'm going to get enough to redo my DSL head in so it matches. I'm leaning real hard towards snakeskin with black grill cloth and white piping.
    Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Re: Crate 4x12 cab recovering project has begun!

I retolexed a cab and re-grilled 2 others. Sheeer madness. For the total amount of time I put into it, itr's probably just as much to buy new/used. the hardest thing i"ve ever done was put a cane grill on a cab; it cuts the hell out of your hands. Good job stripping it down though. That may be the most troublesome part. those crate cabs don't seem to be too bad.
    Ibanez S520-> NS2->TS9 (Monte Allums Modded)->JCA100H->Emi Texas Heat 4x12

Comment

Working...
    X