Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPVD and other stuff

That would be New Peavey Vypyr day.

Not all that exciting I know, but I needed a practice amp that would be useable at low volume and that fit the bill. I took a trip to GC and SA today and played everything that was feasable and even a few things that were not.

In the end I saw a 30 watt Vypyr marked down to 130 bucks and after playing it for a little while came to to the conclusion it was much better for what I play than a Mustang II, Line 6 Spider or a Valvtronix+ 20 that I also tried. So I offered 100 bucks cash and walked out the door with a new amp. So far, i'm really digging the Krankenstein model. The amp has a larger sound that what I would expect and is in perfect condition for being a floor model.

If your expecting Pics, c'mon, its a Vypyr. It looks like all the others.

I did get to see several other things of interest.

A used USA Jackson bolt on. They wanted 1K. Overall the fit and finish seemed very similar to my DK2, so I guess im not gassing here either. The bad thing is the string tension was pulling the floyd far from level which mad the action nice and high and the guitar virtually unplayable and theres that small detail that i dont like floyds so. Really sad to see they put something out there for sale when its like that, but otherwise it was in great shape.

A godin single cut of some sort. The thing had dual seymour P-Rails and was pretty sweet.

A Fender Super Champ 15W. Just not my thing.

A Peavey Valveking. I saw a used one marked at 300 bucks. I wasnt expection much but was really surprised. So much that I almost decided to over extend my budget and snag it. I think these can be had for about 400 bucks new anyway and Id rather leave the door open for a Jet City or a 6505.

I also tried the Blackstar HT-1 and HT-5. If you want high gain on the HT-5, plan on opening it up a bit or invest in an overdrive pedal. Otherwise it sounds pretty good, but I still liked the valveking better and I'm still surprised by that. The HT-1 was nice and is a better low volume practice amp than the HT-5 for sure, but the limited EQ and small cab/ speaker combo kinda did it in. Should be much better through an external cab though. I dunno if its 250 bucks good though when 300 bucks can get you a JCA20.

I finally got to play a couple Michael kelly patriots. They seemed pretty well made, but something was just off about them. I really dont like where they locate the pickup selector. They were surprisingly heavy, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

A Gibson Les paul Studio stickered at about $1400. It sucked very much badly. I'd much rather have the LTD EC-256 AVB I played, which leads me to the conclusion that I want one. Not a 256 but maybe an EC-1000 would fit the bill. Sadly there were none of those to try.

I also played an LTD Truckster James Hetfiled sig. It was pretty cool, though I really cant stand flat finishes. it played nice though.

Re: NPVD and other stuff

Originally posted by Ball&Chain View Post
    If your expecting Pics, c'mon, its a Vypyr. It looks like all the others.
    But I like seeing pics of amps with the rest of the player's rig!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Heh, I'll see what I can do. Not much to show unfortunately.

Comment

That pretty much does it. The amp seems frikkin huge for a combo, though I dont think its anywhere near as large as a 6505.

I guess other gear would include a Vamp2 and a pod Studio UX1. Ive also got an Alvarez Acoustic/Electric, but its kinda half in pieces now as im trying to get the Electric part of it to work properly again.

The guitar here is a Jackson DK2T. Stock Seymours. JB/Jazz. Its modded a bit. The photo on the bottom is pre mod. Since then ive taken out the tone control and put in a 3-way mini toggle that coil splits each pickup individually or none at all depending on position. Then I added a Ton Pros bridge and Schaller locking tuners.

I'm currently pondering wither or not to swap the JB for a duncan distortion.

Comment

Nice Jackson!
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Thanks. Worth every penny of the 350 bucks I paid for it and then some. I think Ive got about 100 bucks in upgrades. The locking tuners and bridge werent really a necessity, but extremely convenient for string changes.

Comment

Working...
            X