New band, new tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New band, new tone

And new tone = new gear! I'm going for something in the modern pop/alt rock vein. Something mostly akin to Lostprophets, but some Killers and Panic at the Disco thrown in (don't you dare judge my musical tastes ). That means:

Gigging volume
    Punchy, sparkly clean
    Somewhat aggressive, punchy low/medium gain rhythm sound (more like rhythm in the higher registers of the guitar, not chug a chug for lack of better terms )
    High gain rhythm not needed, but would be nice
    Great leads (I'm lead guitarist)

I was thinking something along the lines of an Orange RV/TV, but those are awfully expensive. I'm also contemplating the clean amp + pedal route, but I'm worried I might be plagued with thinness, overpriced pedals, and lack of a solid, tight tone. Someone point me in the right direction!

Budget is around $1500 or less for head AND cab. Willing to go used. Nearest major city is Sacramento.

Re: New band, new tone

Sounds to me like you need a fender+pedals. I could cop all the tones you desire with a SF Bassman and a Box of Rock. And that's under $1k for head, cab, and box.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

A super reverb is what I'd wanna do for that kinda thing. 4 10" speakers will help keep things tight while the pedals do the work.

Comment

Or even a Vox AC 15.

Comment

SF Bassman and Box of Rock- good call, i wanna play that right now. I wish Egn.Tweaker and Blackstars would come down so i could my friends who plug n play but need alot tone types.

i used a ibz tubeking to get pro crunch out of a Fender Hot Rod, then w pedal off the clean channel was louder BUT i would avoid anything w flimsy circuit boards like HotRods if u dont need it, they break in unfixable way- so id say no frills or fx in yr head, lots of pedals know you need three sound+ these days.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
            Or even a Vox AC 15.
            I'd wanna go with an AC30 to get enough clean headroom, but the tone is there. Those AC30s are pretty cool.

Comment

VOX AC15/30
              DSL 50
              JVM
              Carvin Legacy
              Any Mesa Rect (including the rectoverbs and tremoverbs)
              VHT

Now I know some of the options are a lil higher gain, however doesn't mean you are required to dime it. I have a VHT and get some wicked lower gain tones from it.
              Originally posted by grumptruck
              No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
              Originally posted by Gear Used
              PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
              Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
              Mesa Stiletto Ace
              Gurus 5015
              Mesa Widebody 1X12
              Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
                VOX AC15/30
                DSL 50
                JVM
                Carvin Legacy
                Any Mesa Rect (including the rectoverbs and tremoverbs)
                VHT
                I just saw that HotOctopus is selling a JVM for $1000, which I think would be a great buy. The versatility of that thing is sweet!
                GuitarStv: O.o

Comment

Egnater Rebel 30 or Renegade 65
                  "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
                    Egnater Rebel 30 or Renegade 65
                    I'd recommend the tweaker 40 if they'd start retail sales already. It's been on the website for a while now. It's the same preamp but with 6L6s. Should be bomb.

Comment

For that price range, the only amp I can think of that has that kind of versatility would be a Hughes & Kettner Triamp. If you're patient, they can be had for around 1k. You'll get sparkly cleans all the way to enough gain for metal (bands like Saosin have used them). If you want to hear a record that has it all over it check out Fuel's "Sunburn". Fenders have the clean tones, but you'd be hard pressed to get really great rock/metal leads out of them. The Marshall JVM has some great overdriven tones, but the cleans suffer.

The Triamp does both clean and hard rock really well and with a good 4x12'' cabinet like an Avatar with Vintage 30s or Greenbacks you'd be good to go.
                      Originally posted by kevlar3000
                      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                      Originally posted by Zerberus
                      Better is often the enemy of good
                      Originally posted by ginormous
                      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Ampeg VT22 would be where I would put my $$
                        ]
                        FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Yeah I was thinking super reverb or bassman ltd

ltd is the punchier and tighter of the 2, they can be had used for about half what you're wanting to spend, so you'd have a decent sized budget for pedals, speakers, tubes, etc
                          Originally posted by gibson175
                          metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Working...
                          X