JCM800 2204 volume problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCM800 2204 volume problem

I went to jam on my amp for break, and noticed almost no sound! In high input, it is clean and weak sounding!

Before I take it apart, where should I look? I was thinking the input it'self may be goofy, but low input does same thing, only even worse. I noticed once before that if the input was turned wrong it would ground out... maybe tubes, blah I don't know!

Thanks in advance!
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Re: JCM800 2204 volume problem

I would check all the tubes first
    2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
    Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
    Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Sounds like either one of your output tubes went blammo or one of the pre tubes did. Either way, it's most likely a tube.

Comment

I will put my spare set of tubes in and bias them and see what happens! Thanks!
        Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Problem Solved! The inputs were loose, and turned at the wrong angle so they were touching themselves... and they shorted themselves out somehow. I suppose Marshall's move to horizontal inputs can be viewed as a good thing

Comment

When a woman touches herself, it's a good thing in most people's view. When input jack wires touch themselves, it's always naughty. ALWAYS...

Comment

Touche my friend... touche... how is your 800 doing these days?

Comment

Doing alright. Haven't been playing it much as my hearing has taken a bit of a beating with all the playing I did when I first got it. Ears are ringing like hell now. I used the attenuator, but it didn't attenuate enough to save my ears without completely destroying the tone.

Comment

Hahaha... I know the feeling. These things like it loud... my ears ring at times I must say, but my wife breeds birds, and I have kids... so I don't mind the hearing loss, and honestly... the thing sounds SSSOOO good. I am saving for another Marshall too, either a Plexi of sort or a vintage modern. Maybe one of Scott's Edana's, but I dunno... I like that Marshall script!

Comment

I have thought about a low wattage version, kinda like what Twilight Oddysey uses, but that volume is half the fun for me!

Comment

Originally posted by xxxplorer View Post
                      Problem Solved! The inputs were loose, and turned at the wrong angle so they were touching themselves... and they shorted themselves out somehow. I suppose Marshall's move to horizontal inputs can be viewed as a good thing
                      Glad to see you got it sorted. That stuff is frustrating!

The vertical inputs came first, and required someone installing them that way. A few years later, they mounted them on the circuit board, and made it so they could butt the board up against the inside of the face plate.

Your amp is the more desirable of the JCM 800 series, and has been considered to be the better sounding version. I'd like for someone who knows more than me to pipe in and let us know why the vertical input 800's sound better than the horizontal input versions. There was more to it than the layout, but can't remember why.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

From what I've read, it's only really the 100 watters that sounded better with the verical inputs... has something to with that with the vertical inputs there were 6 power caps (big blue thingy magigies), and when they went to the horizontal, they only put 3 in which made the sound less desirable when cranking them. That's what I read anyway.

The 2204s being 50 watts only had 3 caps any way so that didn't change. There could also be a transformer change, but I don't know. I've also read that some people think the 100 watters sound better and some people think the 50 watters do.

I want to be like Yngwie and run a 100 watter and 50 watter at the same time lol, but he didn't use JCMs...

Comment

Working...
                        X