wahs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wahs

Over the years i have tried a lot. I started back in the 80s with an ancient vox wah/swell (i still have it), then a foxx wah fuzz, then a boss wah, then in the 90s, a crybaby gcb 95 (which i also heavily modded later) I just unpacked my sexy new CAE mxr dual fasel thing.
    You want to know whats sad? My cheapo morley pro series is still the best sounding. Less feedback, more focus, a wider sweep, no sudden on/off vibe on the taper, no noise, no pots. Just an on/off switch and a level control -and no magic inductors. I know the tone purists will poo pooh me, but im basing this on my ears and nothing else.
    Usually when you get a new pedal and try it out, you have the honeymoon period and rave about how cool it is. Yes the mxr/cae is a killer wah (its the best inductor based wah i have tried), but i think im gonna stick with my old morley pro series and put the CAE in the dusty drawer with all my pedals that did not make it to the permanent pedal board. Oh well....
    Last edited by Chickenwings; 04-04-2011, 10:23 PM.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Re: wahs

In my lifetime, I've owned 7 or 8 wah pedals. I came to rest on the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe because it has 2 important features. The 3 way rotary knob gives me the high range, good for choppy funk riffs on the high strings...Shaft. Then, the well loved Jimi sound that covers the Vox territory. The Whacked low end is similar to what you'd hear from Jerry Cantrell, where low string riffs sound like a wow rather than wah.
    It then gives me the ability to use it's volume rotary dial to set it at unison volume or a bit louder.

The Clyde Deluxe isn't cheap, but I like to think that if Hendrix were alive, he would have loved that wah. In reality, he'd have a Dunlop signature that's tuned to his current gear.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

yeah this cae thing has two inductors which you can switch between to get a classic kinda wah sound and a deeper, throatier bassier sound. Its also got a booster built in too so thats cool. I opened it up a little while ago and adjusted the qs on both inductors and also changed the internal gain boost a little. The feedback is gone and im a lot happier with it. Its still not as smooth or as easy to dial in just the right tone with your foot as the morley, but it does offer a thicker, more old school kind of vibe. Im gonna stick with it for a few weeks and see what i think then. It might be that im just very used to the taper etc on the morley so i gotta give this CAE thing a fair trial...we'll see...
      Last edited by Chickenwings; 04-05-2011, 07:10 AM.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

ok so after a couple of days getting used to it, i can say that the MXR CAE is a totally killer wah! lol. Hey - we are allowed to change our minds arent we?
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

There's no shame in that bro! It normally takes me at least a week to figure out how well I'm going to like anything. Sure you have some things that are instant gratification, but a lot of gear needs some tweaking and working with to get a feel for it. Pedals are like that and sometimes take even longer to get them settled in.

I have a CAE wah and a Green Rhino on order, but the place I ordered from is backordered.
          Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

I have a newer Vox Clyde McCoy and a Duncan Crybaby Classic--neither one has displaced the 1971 vintage Thomas Organ Wah that I have on my pedalboard.

Bill
            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

My first wah was a Gibson Boomerang. It was volume & Wah. It had a round 9v battery in it. Pretty cool but it really didn't sound very good. I hardly used a wah for a long time, but then added a Vox 847. Its a good wah but I felt it was lacking something. Then I bought a Vox Clyde McCoy and right out of the box it was a good wah. A few years back a very god friend who owned a music store/repair facility gave me a Thomas Organ Company Crybaby. Great wah, great that my buddy thought of me, but it sounded like crap and I stuck it in a drawer and forgot about it. Then I started talking to John Spina and long story short he modded a few Wahs for me. My TOC wah is now my main wah and it sounds awesome. Its a little worn out so I had to build up the gear with some duct tape so the pedal wouldn't just drop when I took my foot off of it, but it works great. He also modded my Vox 847 for me and that also is a great wah. It now has a pot on the side so I can adjust the sweep but I just try to get it to sound like my old one. So now I have 3 wahs. I have my old one on my main board, the Clyde on a board that I use with my Marshall and my Vox 847 that I use with my Fender Deluxe Reverb. Having 3 boards setup to run in three different amps works very well for me. They all sound a bit different but really good in there own sort of way.
              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I too like the wide sweep of a morley. Crybaby's are fun, but the sweep is pretty short after using a morley. that foxx fuzz-wah is probably worth some dinero these days. and maybe American money well, don't quote me on that.

Comment

I have only ever had the same wah, the Dunlop GCB-95 that i got xmas 1990 i tried a Morley once but did not like it as much. I keep meaning to get some others but there is always something else to get. I would like to get the Dimebag one & i saw a used Vox reissue in a pawn shop, in what way is that different to what i have?

Comment

Originally posted by Mosher Zone View Post
                    I have only ever had the same wah, the Dunlop GCB-95 that i got xmas 1990 i tried a Morley once but did not like it as much. I keep meaning to get some others but there is always something else to get. I would like to get the Dimebag one & i saw a used Vox reissue in a pawn shop, in what way is that different to what i have?
                    Depends on which VOX it is. The newish Clyde McCoy I have is the one I'd want to use if I was doing nothing but funk wah--"Theme From Shaft" parts--it's got a great clean wacka-wacka sound to it.

The CryBaby Classic is more rock sounding--more of an all-around pedal, a bit throatier than the VOX.

The Thomas Organ on my pedalboard is powered by the Furman's built-in 9V to the battery clip of the wah. That probably changes the tone somehat, especially over battery usage that it was designed for. This pedal has an aggressive gritty rock tone to it, yet it still has enough top-end to be useful for funk. Listen to Terry Kath of Chicago--specifically "I'm A Man"--and that's what my wah sounds like. Very different from the Vox.

Back in the late '60s, I had a VOX wah that was stolen from me in 1972. Now time changes things and memories fade--but I think that pedal might have been the best of the bunch. I remember being disappointed with the Crybaby when I got it, though over the years I have come to love it.

I wish I had that original vintage VOX back!!! And I have had TWO Fender Blender fuzz boxes stolen from me! I want those back back too!

Oh, wait...I guess that's a different kind of WAH!!!! LOL!

Bill
                    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                      Depends on which VOX it is. The newish Clyde McCoy I have is the one I'd want to use if I was doing nothing but funk wah--"Theme From Shaft" parts--it's got a great clean wacka-wacka sound to it.

The CryBaby Classic is more rock sounding--more of an all-around pedal, a bit throatier than the VOX.

The Thomas Organ on my pedalboard is powered by the Furman's built-in 9V to the battery clip of the wah. That probably changes the tone somehat, especially over battery usage that it was designed for. This pedal has an aggressive gritty rock tone to it, yet it still has enough top-end to be useful for funk. Listen to Terry Kath of Chicago--specifically "I'm A Man"--and that's what my wah sounds like. Very different from the Vox.

Back in the late '60s, I had a VOX wah that was stolen from me in 1972. Now time changes things and memories fade--but I think that pedal might have been the best of the bunch. I remember being disappointed with the Crybaby when I got it, though over the years I have come to love it.

I wish I had that original vintage VOX back!!! And I have had TWO Fender Blender fuzz boxes stolen from me! I want those back back too!

Oh, wait...I guess that's a different kind of WAH!!!! LOL!

Bill
                      I don't think it wil be that new but i'm pretty sure it's a reissue from the price but you never know. : )
                      I't sucks when somethimg gets stolen i had my 1970 50 watt Marshall Superlead stolen a few years back, i'm still pissed.

Comment

I have my standard crybaby that I use. I tried the one on my amp, because I have the fancy expression pedal switch with my Peavey Vypyr, but it had all the warmth sucked from it. The crybaby seems to be versatile for Metal and Clean sounds.
                        Originally posted by jmh151
                        I'd hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the King of England
                        Originally posted by jeremy
                        like if we were walking down the sidewalk and you said "hey check her out" chances are i already saw her and mentally sodomized her
                        Originally posted by grumptruck
                        Media only reports on what the sheeple wanna see/hear/read.
                        Sometimes not read.
                        dats hard

Comment

Hopefully XSSIVE will chime in. That dude's the biggest wah whore I think I've ever seen....and I mean that in a good way.

Comment

my first wah was a Bad Horsie.. I know Im wahtarded, but I couldnt get a decent sound with that one.. Seems like it took forever when I released it before the effect would shut off.
                            I then got a Vox847. Its more wah like, but I think its shrill on the highs.

So many out there, I cant afford to try em all.. From what I hear, the Jerry cantrell may be cool.
                            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Cam, I know where you're coming from. I played my old Morley for over 15 years until I got the bug for something new a while back. Grabbed a Crybaby Classic and at first I didnt think I liked it because I couldnt just use it exactly as i did the Morley. After a few adjustments and changing my technique a little its become my new favorite and the Morely is off the board. The fuller, throatier feel of those inductors is just addicting

Comment

Working...
                              X