No announcement yet.

Solid State Amps That Take Pedals Well?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid State Amps That Take Pedals Well?

Whats a good solid state amp that takes pedals well? I've been playing through my Fender Mustang II and it sound good but it doesn't take pedals well at all! I'm thinking about getting rid of it and just getting a small tube amp for at home...
    Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Re: Solid State Amps That Take Pedals Well?

small tube amp would be better-sounding

the mustang's a modeling amp tho dude -- it's not designed to run pedals because it's got tons of effects and sounds in it already. get the controller pedal for it, plug it into your USB and use the included software to dial in a bunch of presets with all the effects you need.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

This is weird, I just posted this thread a couple hours ago but the date says it was posted on 4-26-10.... lol

Comment

yeah my time/date stuff is looking glitched-up too. tis weird.

Anyways, yeah I've never played a SS amp that was very flattering to my dirt boxes. Things get harsh and grating wayyyy to quick.

Comment

Looks like I might just be getting a smaller tube combo then...

Comment

Originally posted by guitarkid View Post
            Looks like I might just be getting a smaller tube combo then...
            small tube combos usually can't take a *ton* of boost from a gain pedal, especially at high volumes. EL84s especially get mushy and blurry when you do that, so beware. But, I'm sure you'd find your pedals to work pretty well with most tube amps.

Comment

^ for bedroom levels, i would disagree with this

i slam my Class 5 with all kinds of pedals...responds just fine cuz in the apartment i keep that thing at like 0-2

as you crank up the gain of the amp, tho, you're right...eventually you just get more mess.
              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Yeah I posted a follow up to my JCA100H NAD last night and now that thread is completely gone... doesn't even say "deleted by..."

I agree. I've never had a SS combo take a distortion pedal well at all. just a buzzy mess. Check out the blackstar's and jet city's. nice little combos for home use and they're very reasonable in the price.
                Ibanez S520-> NS2->TS9 (Monte Allums Modded)->JCA100H->Emi Texas Heat 4x12

Comment

Ok thanks for the info guys, I've been looking at maybe the the Jet City JCH20H with the 1X12 cab... looks like you can get some pretty good deals on those.

Comment

Yeah the jca20h's are $250 new. check some used prices and i bet you could find a steal.
                    Ibanez S520-> NS2->TS9 (Monte Allums Modded)->JCA100H->Emi Texas Heat 4x12

Comment

Originally posted by Mattr4president View Post
                      Yeah the jca20h's are $250 new. check some used prices and i bet you could find a steal.
                      Ya I think you can find a used head for around $200. I've also considered maybe just a little Epiphone Valve Jr. or a Blackheart Little Giant...

Comment

I would go with a small tube amp as well, but to answer you question...

I have a Peavey Transtube Special 212 that has one clean channel, and two drive channels. Each of the drive channels have 3 different kinds of distrotion so for about 5 years I never put a stomp box in front of it. I did not long ago and they sound great. I have the clean channel selected and all of my overdrives and distrotions sound great!
                        1996 Fender Custom Shop Tele Jr #24 out of 25
                        Modified 1980's Kramer with classic cover 59n/59b
                        1991 Ibanez 540sltd with a JB in the bridge
                        Warmoth VW with a Custom in the bridge
                        USA Custom Guitars hollow strat with P90s
                        MIJ Fender Strat (1984 - 1987)

Peavey Transtube 212 Special, Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber +
                        Orange Micro Terror, Fender Pro Jr. (w/ Eminence Texas Heat)

Comment

Originally posted by TeleJr24 View Post
                          I would go with a small tube amp as well, but to answer you question...

I have a Peavey Transtube Special 212 that has one clean channel, and two drive channels. Each of the drive channels have 3 different kinds of distrotion so for about 5 years I never put a stomp box in front of it. I did not long ago and they sound great. I have the clean channel selected and all of my overdrives and distrotions sound great!
                          I forgot about those amps, ya one kid that I teach guitar got one of those a while back and I was actually impressed with it. Might see what a used one goes for...

Comment

Originally posted by guitarkid View Post
                            Ya I think you can find a used head for around $200. I've also considered maybe just a little Epiphone Valve Jr. or a Blackheart Little Giant...
                            The little giant was my first tube amp.

The best sound on it is with the master between 5 and 7, for just a light to pretty moderate crunch, and then step on a pedal. Getting the master above 8 and things start to get kinda harsh and muddy. It's not a gain machine LOL (If you want a lil more preamp gain though, try the 15W one.) Btw 5 is loud on that BH5. So if you want a cleaner practice amp, it could work, cuz it's dead clean until you clear apartment-friendly volumes, and that works well with a lot of dirt pedals.

Comment

My Roland Cube 60 isn't too bad at this, actually.

But the default clean channel (JC120 model) is terrible and I first fell for that.
                              It should be used for cleans and nothing else.
                              It's too clean and too sterile to have dirt pedals in front, they get buzzy, tiny and fizzy very quickly. Almost like going straight to the PA or something.

The Fender Blackface model it's where it's at. Warmer and thicker, it loves pedals.
                              And since this model has a gain knob (because it's on the lead channel), you can set it for a tiny bit of "power amp" saturation (simulated, of course),
                              just a hint of breakup when the right hand gets heavy.
                              And then you can adjust and balance between the preamp gain from your pedals and the power amp saturation in the amp.
                              Too much gain on the amp and it gets farty and messy, too clean on the amp and you lose a bit of flavor.
                              Get the balance right and you'll squeeze the best tones this budget amp can give you.
                              It feels very lively.

I'm confident that a small tube amp would be better anyway.
                              Last edited by Diego; 04-08-2011, 12:01 PM.
                              Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                              Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                              Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                              Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Working...
                              X