Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '68 Blackface Bassman 50w?

Hey guys,

I need a new amp like i need a hole in the head, but the right blackface might mean I should clear out some gear.

There's a local guy that has what he thinks is a '68 Blackface, but I was pretty sure the blackface era ended in '67.

Pics:

The guy is asking $400 and says it will need new tubes. I know that's about midrange for a silverface, but I haven't seen enough blackfaces to know how they compare.

1) I really dig the idea of a 60's amp and I've heard great things about the bassman series, but if i can "blackface" a silverface for half the cost, is that the better route - especially if this hasn't had the failure parts replaced?

2) I do have the Fender SuperSonic 112 W/ a 2x12 Cab that the bassman may or may not replace. It HAS a blackface circuit, so anyone who has played both it would be great to hear your take on the comparison. The SuperSonic does sound unbelievable.

Thanks for the input!

DC

Re: '68 Blackface Bassman 50w?

They still had some blackface faceplates in 1968.

It’s the guts of the amp that mike it great - or not.

Which model Bassman is it? (Read the paper stuck inside of the cabinet)
    Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
    When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
    Red Devils - 1% all the way!
    Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
    Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

hmm. I see only what;s on the label, but looks like power supply is 117 watts, consumption 173 watts, 2 6l6gc and can't read the preamp tubes.I emailed him, so if i get a response I'll ask him more details!

Comment

Locate the production stamp on the tube chart. From 1953 to 1967, this was a two-letter stamp that corresponded with the month and year the amp was manufactured. For instance, if the amp was manufactured in March of 1955, the serial code would be EC. E for 1955 and C for March. This two-letter production stamp continued in 1990 when Fender began reissuing Fender Bassman Amplifiers. Here is a comprehensive table for identifying the production stamp:

A - 1951, 1990 B - 1952, 1991 C - 1953, 1992 D - 1954, 1993 E - 1955, 1994 F=1956, 1995 G - 1957, 1996 H - 1958, 1997 I - 1959, 1998 J - 1960, 1999 K - 1961, 2000 L - 1962, 2001 M - 1963, 2002 N - 1964, 2003 O - 1965, 2004 P - 1966, 2005 Q - 1967, 2006

A - Jan B - Feb C - Mar D - Apr E - May F - Jun G - Jul H - Aug I - Sep J - Oct K - Nov L - Dec

Here are the serial number schemes from 1964 to 1969.

1964 - A00100 to A03800
        1965 - A03800 to A15000
        1966 - A15000 to A33000
        1967 - A32000 to A40000
        1968 - A39000 to A49000
        1969 - A48000 to A58000
        Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
        When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
        Red Devils - 1% all the way!
        Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
        Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

I see, just the serial no - I gotcha. Right now i'm going off of the only pics i have (CL Pics) but I'll update when i get it!

Comment

i paid $400 for my silverface so if that thing works it's a steal

it's been my only amp for...what...eight years? i added a 5w practice amp to the collection when i moed into an apartment but i'm never getting rid of my Bassman.

when you plug into the real thing, then go back to your SuperSonic, you will definitely hear the difference. The Supersonic sounds like the original in character (bassy with good highs, kinda scooped mids) but the real thing does it with way more magic.
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

the date stamp is "QC", so according to Stratman's chart, it's dated February of '67.
              "music heals"
              facebook

Comment

I would jump on it, likely those tubes are good and worth $$$ all by themselves. I had a 68 Drip edge, stamped 67 and currently have a 66 BF, both AB165 and both hard rock machines. Love em a bunch, zero tone tweaks needed and both loaded with original tubes. Outside of an old Traynor, you are hard pressed to find a better bargain basement amp in all of ampdom....
                ]
                FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

These were great amps... along with that 2X12 cabinet. Stephen Stills and Mike Bloomfield used them...
                  "Play like a Champion"
                  PRS DGT, Fender Tele and Strat
                  Marshall JTM45 w/ Creambacks
                  Fav SD Pups C5, Jazz, PG's, 59's

Comment

I've seen some transition amps that had sliverface circuits in a blackface. easily fixed. If that was local, I'd grab it. But check the trannies and see if they look appropriate for the age of the amp. You can check date codes and all that crap, but just eyeball them.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

It's local, and sounds like its at least worth seeing first hand if i hear back. I'll give a call in the AM and update. Got a blonde supersonic 2x12 with v30's that sounds like it would be a match, but i think at the end of the day it's destined to help me test my 4x10 scheme...

Thanks for all the input!

Comment

That's £250 - I'd buy it on principle. If it's in good order it sounds like a total bargain to me. Always wanted a Bassman.

Comment

So far- success!
                          Last edited by GLJazz; 04-09-2011, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Well, Sounds like its a go. He's even driving down to meet me this week. It does not have original tubes, one or two resistors were replaced and a shorted wire were the work done. I'll be popping it out to check the Iron and codes. He seems convinced that it's march 68, but i agree and he even read to me the date code, confirming "QC" - If i want to wait he'll be getting new tubes, but i don't want to risk it going out the door over a $40 set of tubes, yeah?

Another note - It is missing the back cover that covers the tubes - not a dealbreaker is it?
                            Last edited by GLJazz; 04-09-2011, 11:16 AM.

Comment

No deal breaker and also a 78 Bassman is not the flavor I would roll with.
                              ]
                              FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                              http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Working...
                              X