Amp stopped working.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp stopped working.

I was right in the middle of playing Frayed Ends Of Sanity when my amp stopped working. You could hear the faint guitar noise, but it was mostly just crackling and popping.

I already know it's a tube problem, but what kind of tube does this happen to? Do I replace the preamp tube or the power amp tubes?
    Originally posted by jmh151
    I'd hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the King of England
    Originally posted by jeremy
    like if we were walking down the sidewalk and you said "hey check her out" chances are i already saw her and mentally sodomized her
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    Media only reports on what the sheeple wanna see/hear/read.
    Sometimes not read.
    dats hard

Re: Amp stopped working.

Both. Its probably a power tube that is going or gone, but it is possible that you blew the speaker also. Change the power tubes first. If you don't have experience with this you should consider taking to a tech as the tubes need to be biased.
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
      Both. Its probably a power tube that is going or gone, but it is possible that you blew the speaker also. Change the power tubes first. If you don't have experience with this you should consider taking to a tech as the tubes need to be biased.
      Crap! I know its not a blown speaker. Why do tubes of the same type need to be biased, anyway?
      I'd hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the King of England
      like if we were walking down the sidewalk and you said "hey check her out" chances are i already saw her and mentally sodomized her
      Sometimes not read.
      dats hard

Comment

It depends what kind of circuit the tubes are sitting in - what amp are you using ?

Comment

Probably the lowest form of Tube amp there is... Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. It came with 2 6L6 power tubes. The basic layout of the circuit goes as follows: SHARC processor, to Analog preamp, to Preamp 12AX7 tube as a buffer, to the SHARC processor again, then into the power section, consisting of two 6L6 power tubes.
          Sometimes not read.
          dats hard

Comment

Update: After checking again, could it be the fuse? Its not like a wavering signal that fades in and out; it just suddenly stopped making noise. I know its not the speaker.
            Sometimes not read.
            dats hard

Comment

Oh, a hybrid ? I found something on a forum saying that they don't need biasing. I also looked at Peavey's site and the Vypr manual - nothing about biasing. Nice one Peavey. Considering the nature of these amps it's possible your problem has nothing to do with the tubes. Computers are still basically things that can crap out for no discernible reason.

Comment

so all the lights turn on, all tubes light up, but youre getting absolutely no noise out of the speaker, right? could be a fuse, same thing happened to my Bogner a few months back. A failing power tube blew a fuse. Replaced power tubes and fuse and it fired right up.
                Beer me!
                Originally posted by Kam
                ...This machine runs on pr0n.

Comment

Originally posted by richard parker View Post
                  Oh, a hybrid ? I found something on a forum saying that they don't need biasing. I also looked at Peavey's site and the Vypr manual - nothing about biasing. Nice one Peavey. Considering the nature of these amps it's possible your problem has nothing to do with the tubes. Computers are still basically things that can crap out for no discernible reason.
                  Story right here. I just went back and tried again. No problems. Every so often it freezes, but it never fizzed like it did. That's weird. No adverse tones. Same old tones I made.
                  Sometimes not read.
                  dats hard

Comment

I really don't like hybrids. They crap out too often and for unknown reasons. I always thought those Vypyrs were pretty solid though....
                    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Working...
                    X