Adding an FX loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding an FX loop

So I'm considering adding an FX loop to my '68 Bassman. I know most people would be worried about the value of the amp going down, but come on, it's a Silverface Bassman. It's not that valuable to start with.

Here are my questions:
    • If I get a loop that can be true-bypassed, how much will it suck the tone?
    • How much will it suck the tone when the loop is engaged?
    • How much will it change the tone of the amp in general?
    • Is it possible to have a footswitch jack installed so I can remotely engage the loop? If so, is there any reason I shouldn't have this done?
    • Should I have send/return level knobs installed too?
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Re: Adding an FX loop

Anyone?
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12

Comment

It will suck/change the tone depending of what you put in the loop.
      The FX loop is just separating the preamp and power amp.

Comment

Bang for the buck is poor. In most cases, you'd probably be better off selling the amp and applying the cost of the FX loop mod towards a new amp.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
        My Music

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee View Post
          Bang for the buck is poor. In most cases, you'd probably be better off selling the amp and applying the cost of the FX loop mod towards a new amp.
          Why so? I love most about my bassman except its lack of a loop. I want to be able to run an EQ through the loop for a virtual second channel, and to run mod effects through it. I can't think of any amp in my price range that fits my needs better than the Bassman, so why not modify it to better suit my needs? I don't really think "not a bang for buck move" really qualifies as an adequate explanation as to why I shouldn't do it.
          Custom neck-thru strat
          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
          1995 PRS CE24
          D'avanzo #8
          Breedlove Solo Concert
          1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Back when I was asking the same question, thats the conclusion I came to. It really depends on what the mod will cost. I would be surprised if you could get a reputable tech to do it for under two bills. If you add $200-250 to what you could sell your Bassman for, you might be pleasantly surprised by what's out there.
            My Music

Comment

Do you really need a loop for that amp.?
              Loops were basically invented for high gain guys to use delay type stuff with their gainy, squealy, way overdriven lead channels.
              A Fender Bassman hardly qualifies as High Gain. Have you tried a delay or reverb pedal with your amp.? Most guys have great success with pedals at the in jack of a Bassman.
              I think George at Metro sells a loop kit, or maybe check with Weber. To have a qualified tech install a parallel loop in that amp will far exceed the value of the amp IMO.
              Good Luck
              Last edited by zzmoore; 04-16-2011, 08:07 PM.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

I have a Cornford Roadhouse which is a single channel amp with a SERIES loop. I use the loop to run a graphic purely as a volume boost for solos. Cornford are known for building good loops and I really see no loss of tone when I use it. The loop itself is not footswichable nor does it have send/return knobs but it does everything I need. Unless you want to be able to turn your graphic and your mod effects on at the same time you don't really need a switchable loop.

If you want a Bassman with a loop you're not going to find one if you sell this amp. Keep the amp, get the mod done and enjoy yourself. $200 isn't a lot if you get what you want out of it.

Comment

I didn't read all the posts but I didn't agree with the first few

anyways

if you're wanting just an in/out between the preamp and power amp it won't be that hard at all for any competent tech, and you probably won't notice the tone loss

a footswitch is possible, but you'd have to drill even more to get one in, and, well i don't know what your situation is but in most cases there's really no need for it. Yes it would be nice, but walking over to your amp and kicking on a pedal isn't difficult

also, don't even try to get into buffered loops with level knobs and all that. Those ARE tone suckers and not nearly as easy of a mod.

Lastly, and this is just my opinion or what i would do in your situation, but if you're just wanting an effects loop to run your delay and stuff forget about it. I understand that with a delay in the loop you get more, erm, "accurate" repeats, but honestly 99% of people can't really tell much about the repeats themselves--they may be able to hear the first couple, which'll sound about the same regardless of where the pedal is, but beyond that they'll be able to hear that there ARE repeats, but not much else. Hell, in full band context I can't hear the tonal quality of the last few repeats. Plus with all the effects out there now it's not hard to find tighter brighter sounding coloring effects that sound tighter and brighter through the front of the amp.

BUT, if you're wanting one to run like...a volume pedal, or a boost to the power amp, or anything like that it may be worth looking into

hope this helps

:::::edit::::::::::::

so I looked up a little bit and saw you want this for a "second channel" of sorts--- why don't you just buy a dirt pedal? Or an a/b box to switch between the bass and normal channel? Even if you mod the bass channel to... say BF specs or even tweed specs you'd still be hacking up the amp less than installing a footswitchable buffered effects loop.
                  Last edited by drew_half_empty; 04-17-2011, 11:30 AM.
                  Originally posted by gibson175
                  metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty View Post
                    also, don't even try to get into buffered loops with level knobs and all that. Those ARE tone suckers and not nearly as easy of a mod.
                    The flip side of this argument is that a lot of pedals sound like butt in an unbuffered loop. I ran into that on my Soldanos: run a true bypass delay pedal and it sounds glorious...until I switch in the delay. Saying that it sounded like a blanket got thrown over the amp would be a ridiculous understatement.
                    My Music

Comment

Why?
                      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

What about just adding an effects loop pedal?

Fuchs effects loop: http://www.fuchsaudiotechnology.com/..._fx_loop&cat=2

kleinulator by ceriatone: http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubP...ien-ulator.htm

There's a kleinulator effects loop over on the gear page for $120 shipped/ppl'd
                        That saves the $30 shipping from ceriatone.

Comment

Working...
                        X