Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MXR Phase 90 and Flanger vs EVH versions

Couple of questions..
    First, Im trying to cut my clutter and make a simple/effective pedalboard. I have an MXR phase 90 and MXR flanger. I tried a few others and the mxrs seem pretty good and have a good track record. Ive yet to gig with this rig, so are these pretty good choices?

Are the EVH versions alot different? Are they better? I cant seem to find the correct settings on my pedals (Im sure its technique mostly) that give me the Evh tones even tho he got his on the reg stuff and not EVH models.. haha

thanks
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: MXR Phase 90 and Flanger vs EVH versions

All I know is I want whatever phaser, flanger or whatever the hell Dave Murray uses. I've been listening to alot of old Maiden lately, and I just absolutely love that sound he gets on the majority of his solos. It's just so dreamy/orgasmic sounding. If anyone needs a signature pedal for those types of sounds, it's him!!

Comment

when it comes to Ed's Flanger and Phase 90 sounds on the records i have always assumed the guys in the studio may of tweeked the sounds using studio tricks... i could be wrong but it seems that way to me...

live Ed's Phase 90 and Flanger Effects sound like they come on with a boost to them... not sure how this is done... i even have a few soundboard audio bootlegs from the 78 tour and when he does stuff like Ain't Talking About Love and Atomic Punk it sounds like his pedals boost the signal more then most Phase 90's and Flangers do...

Comment

I think his was modded by Jose. Of course he says he never used a "boost" pedal, but whatever... The phaser adds something, as does the tape delay. But his signature pedals are designed to emulate the effect of HIS pedals when you switch the EVH mode on. Otherwise they are supposed to be like a stock Phase 90.

Comment

The evh phaser is really cool....I got one 2nd hand and I really like the tone. The good bit is that you have a button that switches between the vintage 'script' phase 90 which is more subtle and the modern 'block logo', which has more effect in the tone. This makes it a more versatile/tunable pedal than other versions.

The flanger I'm less sure on....from what I've read its just a stock 4-knob flanger with a button that gives you ed's settings on demand (plus his sig colour and a stupid high price)

edit - if you have a block phase 90 then this will be the reason it sounds not quite right - too much phase in the mix

Comment

Listen to the first minute:

Buy Now: https://goo.gl/MDPAokIt's back! The MXR M-117R is a faithful reproduction of the original MXR Flanger. Whether you like jets or rocket ships, this f...
            GuitarStv: O.o

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
              All I know is I want whatever phaser, flanger or whatever the hell Dave Murray uses. I've been listening to alot of old Maiden lately, and I just absolutely love that sound he gets on the majority of his solos. It's just so dreamy/orgasmic sounding. If anyone needs a signature pedal for those types of sounds, it's him!!

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                Couple of questions..
                First, Im trying to cut my clutter and make a simple/effective pedalboard. I have an MXR phase 90 and MXR flanger. I tried a few others and the mxrs seem pretty good and have a good track record. Ive yet to gig with this rig, so are these pretty good choices?

Are the EVH versions alot different? Are they better? I cant seem to find the correct settings on my pedals (Im sure its technique mostly) that give me the Evh tones even tho he got his on the reg stuff and not EVH models.. haha

thanks
                His would have been in front of the amp on the early records thus in front of the distortion. That makes a big difference

Comment

Cool! I forget that site..

Originally posted by AudioWonderland View Post
                  His would have been in front of the amp on the early records thus in front of the distortion. That makes a big difference
                  True! thanks! Id like to be able to put thru the loop and get it right tho...May not have a choice..
                  Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

i've been wanting to try the full sized reissue of the Flanger for a long time... i did buy a new MXR Micro Flanger last summer... i like it but when placed before the amp it bleeds some flanger sounds even when the unit is off... i wonder if it's full size brother does this too...

Comment

Originally posted by WhoFan View Post
                      i've been wanting to try the full sized reissue of the Flanger for a long time... i did buy a new MXR Micro Flanger last summer... i like it but when placed before the amp it bleeds some flanger sounds even when the unit is off... i wonder if it's full size brother does this too...
                      I've the micro flanger and have had in front of the amp for quite a while. Have not noticed any effect bleed. Are you sure your unit isn't defective?

Comment

there are two phase 90 mxr phasers + the evh phaser
                        I like only the script logo (reissue) phase 90

Comment

Originally posted by guitarded View Post
                          I've the micro flanger and have had in front of the amp for quite a while. Have not noticed any effect bleed. Are you sure your unit isn't defective?
                          i'm not sure... i asked around and i've heard other players say the same thing about their Phase 90's... it's extremely faint... but you can tell it's in line...

Comment

I had these same questions a while back, I went with my ears:

EVH Phaser over the MXR - the "Ed" button does a great VH1 phaser, it is a different sound

MXR Flanger over the EVH flanger - the "Ed" button is only a setting that can be done on the MXR as well.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                              Jolls, on the album it might've been echoplex.
                              Active Duty Rig:
                              MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
                              Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Working...
                              X