Looking for a "Vox-killer" :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a "Vox-killer" :D

Went to GC and tried out a Vox AC30. Great amp, and ALMOST meets my needs. It could really afford to be more aggressive and have more low-end. Now I know that Voxes clearly weren't made with this in mind, which is why I need an alternative. Nothing too drastically different, but just a little more ballsy/authoritative with a same general tone. Any suggestions? Please don't suggest the AD30; too "fuzzy" and bleh. I just didn't like it.

Re: Looking for a "Vox-killer"

How about putting an MXR ZW44 in front of it?

Comment

My choice for that type of amp was a late 90's Gibson Goldtone G30RVS. Joe Perry obviously liked them.
      I'd love to have a 65 Amps London too.

Another rockin AC-30 type amp is the Blackstar Artisan 30.
      Each Blackstar Amps Artisan Series offers the widest range of classic vintage and boutique tones to the highest possible sonic standard.
      Last edited by Gearjoneser; 04-19-2011, 01:59 AM.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

get the head version and run it into a cab that's bassier than an open back combo with a couple greenbacks maybe? thinking maybe a heavy duty closed back 2x12 with some high output speakers, and run an overdrive out front.
        Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
        ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

Mesa Maverick 212. You can find them around, even though they discontinued. The Lonestar Special will also get you close.

I've played with a couple of guys who use AC30s, and they ARE VOX snobs, LOL, but they always seem to be impressed with the versatility of the 2 channels of the Maverick.

For more bottom end, I like to use a Horizontal Recto 212 underneath. That might work for an AC30, too.

Bill
          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

sound like you should just grab the AC30 and spend the rest your your energy finding the perfect speakers. Sometimes that's all and amp needs, just a little push in another direction.

Comment

i agree with fuse on this one. Also a carefull chosen od pedal - maybe a fulldrive would be the ticket.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Greenbacks? I thought the AC30 had a pair of Blues in it.

Originally posted by super rad stuff View Post
                get the head version and run it into a cab that's bassier than an open back combo with a couple greenbacks maybe?
                ---------------------------
                The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Laney Lionheart L20H and the Cab is EXACTLY what you're after.
                  Lister: I am your god!
                  Cat: ( points at food ) If you're god, turn this into a woman!

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
                  i don't want to shoot at a guy holding my Les Paul, but I'd gladly shoot through a Fernandes that I paid $250 for.

Comment

I think Woundtight has a used Bad Cat Hot Cat for sale. 18 watts, EL84, with drive abiltites far beyond a normal Vox.
                    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

NO NO NO.

BUDDA SUPERDRIVE 18 (get a used one before Peavey took over).

Trust me on this one. The clean channel has a bright switch that makes it sound vox-ish but much more of a full tone. Without the bright switch it'll thicken up like a Fender. The gain channel is what Marshall should be doing. I tried a top boost AC30 recently and was completely underwhelmed. Come to think of it, most amps leave me unsatisfied. Maybe it's because I own a Budda.

Also look into EAST AMPLIFICATION.

The guy behind Buddas (before peavey bought the brand and flushed it) started his own company. I've never played one but TwilightOdyssey has one of them. Sound clips are impressive.
                      Last edited by ksmith63; 04-19-2011, 08:02 AM.
                      - KEVIN

MY BAND: http://thefathom.bandcamp.com

Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
                      Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4
                      Ibanez SR3006; Ibanez BTB1005

Originally posted by DankStar
                      I'm the Betty Crocker Easy Bake OvenŽ of riffs. Ding! Another batch is done.

Comment

Working...
                      X