Jet City jc100h marshall tones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet City jc100h marshall tones

Im am about to start a new recording project and was considering a new amp for some different sounds and textures. I have a peavey 6505+ which gives me modern high gain tones but im wanting some old school marshall crunch as well. I dont really have marshall funds and the jet city seems like a overall good amp for a low price. I would also be able to get the jet city new instead going the used route to find a marshall in my price range. Has anyone been able to get convincing marhall tones out of their jc100 head. Any suggestions on other amps that may get these sounds.

Re: Jet City jc100h marshall tones

What is your idea of old school marshall crunch are you talking more plexi like or more JCM800 like? I know they get bagged on alot but you can find used JCM900 dual mv's for very cheap and may be your ticket for the marshall crunch your after.

My experience with a JC100h is limited to a few minutes in a music store at conversation volume so its hardly a well formed opinion but to me the JC100h seemed to be the wrong direction if your after plexi tones. But i could be wrong there. Demoing an amp like that at that low of a volume can be very misleading.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I havent seen them in any of the local music stores so im kind of shooting in the dark as far as sound . Youtube wasnt that helpfull i also cant find many good reviews online so im hoping to get some opinions here. Overall it seems like a pretty good deal on a great sounding amp . My idea of old school marshall crunch is somthing similar to ac/dc sounds up to the old megadeath stuff. Another reason i was interested in is the price point for a new head which would allow me a extended warranty. For some reason i got the impression that since it was designed by soldano and some of the mods they offer (brown eye ) on the website that maybe it was like a hotrodded marshall.

Comment

A jet city amp will give you more gain on tap than you may be looking for

They are made by Soldano and get REAL saturated REAL fast on the gain dial.

LOVED the one i played
        Originally posted by Jay 77
        Other than hearing incredibly shaky, sucky playing it sounds like #2 is the Gibson and #1 sounds like it's a steaming #2.

Comment

I Love my JCA100H. I kinda decided to get it over a 5150 simply because EVERYONE in hardcore uses either a 5150 or Mesa Rect. You won't get a Plexi sound out of it at all. Think JCM800/900 modded. A bit more bass though. It ends up being it's own beast. The build quality for what you pay is great. When you play one, you have to turn it past 3.5 on the master volume. It's a totally different beast at that point. I can't recommend it enough especially when you pair it with a 5150. Devastation.
          Ibanez S520-> NS2->TS9 (Monte Allums Modded)->JCA100H->Emi Texas Heat 4x12

Comment

Originally posted by Hartfeltmusic2010 View Post
            I havent seen them in any of the local music stores so im kind of shooting in the dark as far as sound . Youtube wasnt that helpfull i also cant find many good reviews online so im hoping to get some opinions here. Overall it seems like a pretty good deal on a great sounding amp . My idea of old school marshall crunch is somthing similar to ac/dc sounds up to the old megadeath stuff. Another reason i was interested in is the price point for a new head which would allow me a extended warranty. For some reason i got the impression that since it was designed by soldano and some of the mods they offer (brown eye ) on the website that maybe it was like a hotrodded marshall.
            If you're pairing the head and cab right you can def get some Megadeth tones out of it. It could use some better tubes... but it seems that way with most amps these days.

Comment

Thats exactly what i wanted to hear. I hate that i cant get a chance to play one before i buy it. Deffinitely seems like one of the better amps on the market . Any cab suggestions ?

Comment

My cabs a no name brand that was in a buddies basement that I tolexed, grilled and put Emi Texas Heats in. I really like these speakers because the JCA has a looser bottom then a 5150 so they do well to tighten it back up. If you crank the gain and bass it sounds a bit too boomey so something that can tighten that bass without being too over bearing. I think it would pair well with some V30's, though i haven't tried this combo yet. I've heard from several people that it doesn't go very well with the 1960a/b's loaded with GT75's. Really I've only had the experience with the Texas Heats. Hopefully i can get some funds to play around.

Comment

Really nice amp...can it do marshall tones?

sorta. it can do those styles and gain levels as well as a JMP/JCM marshall, but the difference is in the sound of it. The Jet City has a thicker sound, especially in the lows and mids, and it's got a smoother high end as well. Can still cut through a mix with ease, but it's got more gain on tap, and a slightly different flavour.

It can also be really transparent regarding the other gear you're using with it. It definitely does not like a cab full of G12T-75s. it sounds boomy and hollow with those speakers. With greenback-type speakers, and with V30s, it sounds great. But with the Mesa oversized 4x12, with Vintage 30s, it sounds kinda funny...not boomy at all, but just kinda dull in the low end. I think it needs a standard sized cab to sound its best.
                  Last edited by CTN; 04-20-2011, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by icantbuyafender View Post
                    A jet city amp will give you more gain on tap than you may be looking for

They are made by Soldano and get REAL saturated REAL fast on the gain dial.

LOVED the one i played
                    Soldano and the guy from THD amps...Andy Marshall I think?
                    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
                      Soldano and the guy from THD amps...Andy Marshall I think?
                      That is correct. Designed the Piccovalve. That looks like a fun little amp.

Comment

There is no question that Soldano is among the very best in the world, but if you're going after Marshall sounds then it seems kind of odd that someone would try to do it with Soldano. The cheap Marshalls suck. The best you can find with Marshall right now are the Vintage Reissues, Vintage Moderns, and JVMs. I don't care at all for the rest of that India made stuff.

If you want Marshall and can't afford it, go with Blackstar. I think you're barking up the wrong tree doing it with Soldano. Blackstar will give you a few different Marshall sounds; plexi'ish on the clean channel, JCM 800'ish with some gain, JVM type high gain. They are very affordable. I saw an HT-40 on this forum for around $500.

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
                          There is no question that Soldano is among the very best in the world, but if you're going after Marshall sounds then it seems kind of odd that someone would try to do it with Soldano. The cheap Marshalls suck. The best you can find with Marshall right now are the Vintage Reissues, Vintage Moderns, and JVMs. I don't care at all for the rest of that India made stuff.

If you want Marshall and can't afford it, go with Blackstar. I think you're barking up the wrong tree doing it with Soldano. Blackstar will give you a few different Marshall sounds; plexi'ish on the clean channel, JCM 800'ish with some gain, JVM type high gain. They are very affordable. I saw an HT-40 on this forum for around $500.
                          Ironically enough,Mike Soldano originally made a good living modifying Marshall amps,especially the 800 series...Part of his ideas for the SLO 100 amps were based off the 800 series Marshalls.He likes to voice his amps his way though..
                          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I have a JCA100H and with the right speakers (I use a Mojo 4x12 loaded with Greenbacks), it can definitely get you in the vintage Marshall ballpark on the Normal channel. It's more JCM 800 sounding on this channel than Plexi sounding, though. I sold my JCM 800 2204 after buying my Jet City, mainly because I could do everything on the Normal channel of my Jet City that I could on my 2204. The Normal channel is a dead ringer for a JCM 800. The Overdrive channel on the JCA100H is basically a hotrodded JCM 800 tone, but a hair smoother and darker sounding. Not nearly as compressed or aggressive as a 5150 and alot clearer sounding.

If you are looking for more Plexi like tones, the Jet City is not going to get you all the way there, but I can't think of a <$900 amp that can do it, either. So I dunno what to suggest there.
                            CURRENT RIG:

2004 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (SD PGb bridge, DMZ VVB neck)
                            2012 Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue (Mojotone '72 Clone WRHB set)
                            2017 Balaguer Scumden (SD PG set)
                            2011 Fender Blacktop Telecaster (GFS Surf 90s)

Jet City JCA50H
                            Avatar Signature 2x12 loaded with Greenbacks
                            lots 'o pedals

Comment

Soldano/Marshall Modded amp...

This is a 1979 Marshall 50 Watt JMP. It was modded by Mike Soldano. The mod is his Hi Gain mod that he used to perform back in the day and was the blue print...

Comment

Working...
                              X