Noob tube question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob tube question

As part of me upgrading my stuff, I'm thinking of putting in new tubes for my Blackstar HT-100 for a warmer and bigger tone with a bit more character to it, but I really don't know much about tubes. There are EL34's in there now and I'm currently looking to put in maybe JJEL34's or KT77's. I'd really appreciate your opinions on these, and if I went with the KT77, would I have to get my amp biased for it?

Sorry if something I wrote didn't make sense.
    GuitarStv: O.o

Re: Noob tube question

The benefits from tube swapping is probably marginal on that amp. I think the general consensus for Marshall type amps is Winged C and Tungsol.

Comment

you should bias it every time you change the power tubes, it's pretty easy on the amps I have done it for. Never looked inside a HT-100 though.
      KT77 does have a more rounded tone, with deeper bass. The difference is not that big however and I would recommend trying preamp tubes first because:
      1.They are cheaper
      2.You don't have to re-bias the amp when changing them
      3.The difference in sound is much more prominent
      Frank Sinatra - "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Comment

Originally posted by Gish_85 View Post
        The difference is not that big however and I would recommend trying preamp tubes first because:
        Preamp tubes... would those be the ones listed as "ecc83"?

Comment

yeah, sometimes they are called 12AX7 instead (UK/US use different names for the same thing).
          12AT7,12AU7,12AY7 can also be used as they fit the same slot
          Frank Sinatra - "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Comment

Originally posted by Gish_85 View Post
            yeah, sometimes they are called 12AX7 instead (UK/US use different names for the same thing).
            12AT7,12AU7,12AY7 can also be used as they fit the same slot
            Ok, thanks. I'll look them up and see what I can come up with.

Comment

Thats cool, good luck

Comment

Working...
              X