EQ frequencies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EQ frequencies?

Hey, i'm making a 4 band tube eq for guitar, and was wondering what frequencies I should put them at.
    If it makes any difference, I was gonna play my sg through the eq and reverb, sometimes clean sometimes with arbiter fuzz or ehx muff, into a fender champ 600. I mainly play surf, jazz and garage/psyche.

Re: EQ frequencies?

Also, is there any point in making it a 4 band, or shall I just make it a 3 band?

Comment

I guess it depends on how much control you want over the sound. Being able to tweak individual frequencies in a wider range will let you boost or cut in a more precise manner than, say, adjusting "the highs" or "the mids" etc.

There's a few pedal DIY sites that might be able to give you a better perspective on the specifics.

Comment

Why not have 4 bands, and have the two middle with adjustable sweep and Q?

Comment

dunno, but sounds like a cool project!

Comment

Originally posted by Warheart View Post
            Why not have 4 bands, and have the two middle with adjustable sweep and Q?
            The best sound I ever got with my "wife" SG was through a parametric EQ into a Fender amp with a Roland Space Echo. It just killed.
            www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

110 = low end punch
              350 = mud zone frequencies...usually you want to cut here and not add. A little either way goes a long way.
              2200 = upper mids...a good place to help your sound cut through a mix
              4200 = treble...adds "air" to the sound. Glass to a clean sound. Sizzle to distorted sounds.

Peaking filters with a Q to span 2/3 an octave for the two upper frequencies and about half an octave for the two lower frequencies.

I'd suggest (if you can) getting access to a decent mixing console and experiment with the eq on various guitar tracks. That will give you some immediate feedback as to what the numbers mean in terms of changes to the sound.

Comment

Maybe add a prescence/volume boost knob in addition to the volume knob. This way it could be used as a boost for leads.
                Originally posted by grumptruck
                No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                Originally posted by Gear Used
                PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                Mesa Stiletto Ace
                Gurus 5015
                Mesa Widebody 1X12
                Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx View Post
                  110 = low end punch
                  350 = mud zone frequencies...usually you want to cut here and not add. A little either way goes a long way.
                  2200 = upper mids...a good place to help your sound cut through a mix
                  4200 = treble...adds "air" to the sound. Glass to a clean sound. Sizzle to distorted sounds.

Peaking filters with a Q to span 2/3 an octave for the two upper frequencies and about half an octave for the two lower frequencies.

I'd suggest (if you can) getting access to a decent mixing console and experiment with the eq on various guitar tracks. That will give you some immediate feedback as to what the numbers mean in terms of changes to the sound.
                  +1

This is the way that I've always seen it. Around 2KHz seems to be the most important frequency to mess around with for guitar playing. It can change a guitar sound from hard to hear to jumping right out, and from overbearing to sitting just right.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                  X