Does this speaker suck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this speaker suck?

I'm hating the stock Celestion 70/80 speaker that came with my Rivera Clubster Royale. This is a sample I recorded around 2:00 AM with my Ibanez RG1570 (Dimarzio Norton/Air Norton).

I'm going to order a speaker tonight but I'm still having a hard time deciding between a Private Jack and a Legend GB128. I'm kind of leaning towards the Private Jack but I never tried it before. The only Eminence Legend experience I had is playing a Soldano 2x12 which was awesome.

My amp settings for reference: bass 11:00, mid 1:00, treble 11:00, pres 12:00, reverb 9:00, master vol 1/3

Rivera Clubster Royale

Re: Does this speaker suck?

I've never been a big fan of Celestions. They make some really great speakers that sound wonderful, and at the same time, they make a lot crap, too. I've always had a lot better luck with EV and Emminence.
    www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Kinda sounds like if someone had a fizz control on a v30, and turned that up. Less bass too, I think. reminds me alot of the super 65 i have

The legend is what I'd go with. I hear people say it's closer to a real gb than the a private jack. The word seems to be that the PJ is warmer than greenback, and I've never thought that the greenback needed any "warming up".

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
        Kinda sounds like if someone had a fizz control on a v30, and turned that up. Less bass too, I think. reminds me alot of the super 65 i have

The legend is what I'd go with. I hear people say it's closer to a real gb than the a private jack. The word seems to be that the PJ is warmer than greenback, and I've never thought that the greenback needed any "warming up".
        Man I just bought a Private Jack on Ebay. I hope I made the right choice for this amp.

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
          Man I just bought a Private Jack on Ebay. I hope I made the right choice for this amp.
          I'm sure it'll be fine. they're supposed to be pretty similar. I can't imagine the little extra warmth being a terrible thing. PJs get lauded all the time for being awesome.

Comment

I liked the clip. I think the 70/80s have a nice dark/tight/crunch thing going on. But most peeps don't like them.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
              I liked the clip. I think the 70/80s have a nice dark/tight/crunch thing going on. But most peeps don't like them.
              Thanks for listening. I think this amp has a ton of potential but the speaker is holding it back. My Private Jack shipped today and it's only 1 city away so I should have it by tomorrow or Wednesday. I'll redo the sound sample with the new speaker and see if you guys think it's an improvement.

Comment

Working...
              X