Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal Build

I just completed one of these:

Everything worked the first time after completion. It sounded pretty good through the work bench amo that rarely sounds very good. The Eq knobs had great range and there was plenty of gain. The LED overdrive that is standard on the Guv'nor sounded bigger/ fuller than the silicon diode alternative clippers but its a nice option to fine tune for different amps/guitars. I will plug this into the big amps soon to check out the sounds. If it lives up to expectations this will be going on the board in place of my original Guv'nor.

Pics will be coming shortly

Next up will be an A/B box and a loop box from the same company. I also just picked up a DS-1 that I will be modding. Once those are done I am looking at either a TS clone or the BSIAB from GGG.

Re: Pedal Build

A few shots from the build

Comment

Looks really cool, man. Really neat work, too. Nice job.

I'd love to build one of these but I just KNOW that I'll get addicted.
      I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
        Looks really cool, man. Really neat work, too. Nice job.

I'd love to build one of these but I just KNOW that I'll get addicted.
        Too late for that here.... I have already ordered an A/B box and a loop box from those guys and picked up a used DS-1 to mod from the local hut. This is what happens when your pretty happy with the guitar and amp situation

Comment

Awesome job man!

I built one of these recently as well, I really think I should have went with the small box like you did, but I dig it all the same!

Great pedal!

Comment

Originally posted by Warheart View Post
            Awesome job man!

I built one of these recently as well, I really think I should have went with the small box like you did, but I dig it all the same!

Great pedal!
            Thanks! I thought long and hard about going with the bigger enclosure but decided I could make it work with the smaller box. It ended up not being a problem at all and the smaller box is certainly more board friendly. I wanted a Guv'nor for the board so I could put my original Guv'nor safely on the shelf. Not a lot of play time on it yet but it sounded pretty good on the little workbench amp

The Loop box and A/B box I ordered from GGG arrived yesterday. I sanded and primed the enclosures tonight. Once the paint is done they should be a quick build since they have no PCB to assemble and wire in
            Last edited by AudioWonderland; 04-27-2011, 05:37 AM.

Comment

I recently did the GGG BMP and it sounds phenomenal. My buddy tried it and bought it from me immeidately...now I have to build a new one.

Fun stuff.
              Originally posted by Frankly
              PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
              Originally posted by Diocletian
              Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Comment

How is the PCB construction?

IOW are those thru board eyelets? Sturdy looking traces? Board thick enough not to flex?

This looks like WAY too much fun!

Chip
                Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
                Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
                Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
                SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
                SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
                "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Start View Post
                  How is the PCB construction?

IOW are those thru board eyelets? Sturdy looking traces? Board thick enough not to flex?

This looks like WAY too much fun!

Chip
                  Yes, it uses throught the board eyelets. The traces seemed sturdy enough but I am no expert in that area. Any board will flex with enough force but it was heavy enough I am not concerned about it. GGG's stuff does not mount the pots and jacks to the board as you can see so there won't be any consistent impacts which should leave board well protected. The enclosure mounted jacks and pots are what made me choose the GGG stuff over the BYOC products. There is a lot more off board wiring to do but it should be more durable.

Assembling the PCB was actually the easy part. The time consuming part was estimating the length of each off board wiring connection, cutting to length, tinning and mounting in to the pads. As I was assembling I ended up shortening most of them to try to keep a nice clean appearance. The final result isn't perfect but its as good or better than most commercial products I have seen so no complaints.
                  Last edited by AudioWonderland; 04-27-2011, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PoorMan View Post
                    I recently did the GGG BMP and it sounds phenomenal. My buddy tried it and bought it from me immeidately...now I have to build a new one.

Fun stuff.
                    After the A/b And loop boxes are done I want to build either the BSIABII, the TOCT octavia or the EA Tremolo. Probably the TOCT or the trem though as I have plenty of quality overdrive pedals.

Comment

sweet build. I've done the LPB1 and the BSIAB, both great sounding pedals that have outlasted several other name brand pedals on my board.

my next one will probably be a fuzz of some sort
                      Beer me!
                      Originally posted by Kam
                      ...This machine runs on pr0n.

Comment

Working...
                      X