banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you guys fix this...Tolex question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you guys fix this...Tolex question.

I drove 3 hours tonight to pick this cab up, but it needs a little work. It needs corner protectors and some of the tolex is starting to work it's way up around the insides in front of the baffle. I'm not sure if it would be better to reapply some glue to the loose spots and press them down some how, or take it all apart, remove the baffle and get in there from that angle. It definitely doesn't warrant recovering the whole thing for those minor issues. What would be a good spot adhesive to try and tack it back down with?

You can see in the pic where some of the tolex has come loose and is obscuring the piping.

Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Re: How would you guys fix this...Tolex question.

Super glue works wonders....get the thicker gel one and watch out for the ooze, your finger will be attached to yer amp.

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
    Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
    Celestion speakers
    Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
    Too many pedals....

Comment

Originally posted by butnut View Post
      Super glue works wonders....get the thicker gel one and watch out for the ooze, your finger will be attached to yer amp.
      I will give that a try! I've got some contact cement for carpeting, but it's a bit messy and takes forever to dry. I'll have to get a ruler and some clamps so I can keep it flat while it dries.

I'm really thinking about pulling the baffle off the 2x12 and recovering it with the cane grill cloth. The more I look it, the more I like it!

Comment

Originally posted by butnut View Post
        This....

Remove the grill/baffle so you can work easier, and then use small amounts of glue as it will spread as you press down the tolex. Work small sections at a time, and you will be fine.

One tip I can add is don't glue right up to the edge, just let the glue spread to the edge so you don't get glue on the wrong side of the tolex. Also keep a rag and some Acetone handy as you can wipe off any mess while the glue is still wet.
        -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
          This....

Remove the grill/baffle so you can work easier, and then use small amounts of glue as it will spread as you press down the tolex. Work small sections at a time, and you will be fine.

One tip I can add is don't glue right up to the edge, just let the glue spread to the edge so you don't get glue on the wrong side of the tolex. Also keep a rag and some Acetone handy as you can wipe off any mess while the glue is still wet.
          Good stuff! I don't feeling messing with it now, but I'll get on it tomorrow after work and report back!

Comment

Working...
          X