Tonebender MKII HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonebender MKII HELP!!

Ok after hours of research I am even more lost.
    So help me decide on a tonebender MK II (preferably with OC75 transistors)

In the more budget end I've got
    BYOC Pre Built
    Smitty Pedals (OC75)
    MJM Bender
    Maritime Firing Line

As I go up there is
    Throbak Stonbender
    Hudson Electronics Stroll On (clips sound good and good reviews)
    Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe (silicon transistors)
    Fromel Electronics Tone Bender

And even more pricey
    JMI Tonebender MKII OC75

Unknown
    FuzzFaceLess

Looking at only wanting to spend 125 to 175 US but the Hudson Stroll On sounds good!
    Anyones to avoid?? I also want to avoid ones that dont reach unity gain (i need it as a boost on top of my clean tone)
    I know originals and DAM and others (way out of my price range) are good but dont have that kind of money. Extra options such as bias control and pre gain are welcome!
    Also please dont suggest pedals I cant get like Lumpys Tone Shop
    Last edited by James Rock; 04-24-2011, 11:29 PM.
    Gondola Kid
    Bandcamp
    Facebook
    JimijaymesGuitarist
    Youtube

Re: Tonebender MKII HELP!!

bump
    I know I've asked about tonebenders before but I may actually purchase one this time!
    Gondola Kid
    Bandcamp
    Facebook
    JimijaymesGuitarist
    Youtube

Comment

The BYOC's you can get pre-built and they are actually pretty good.

The only Mk IIs that are better is the JMI version.

(The stonebender was garbage IMO, don't get that one)
      Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
      Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Heard this quite a bit so probably will avoid. The clips of the JMI are so nice but yeh way out of my budget unless I sell my FZ-2 for it.....
        Gondola Kid
        Bandcamp
        Facebook
        JimijaymesGuitarist
        Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by James Rock View Post
          Heard this quite a bit so probably will avoid. The clips of the JMI are so nice but yeh way out of my budget unless I sell my FZ-2 for it.....
          I guess if I were you I would sell the FZ-2. I don't think you'll regret it. Even Jimmy Page replaced his old one with a new JMI.

If you want to keep your FZ-2 then I would get a pre built BYOC because those are pretty nice too.

Comment

hmmm, the BYOC is really that good?
            My Bands -
            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
              It uses the original transistors in the Tonebenders and everything. It's not all NOS parts or whatever but the heart of a fuzz is it's trannies and it has the good ones. They are built well and sound good.

Most of the other BYOC stuff is not that way unfortunately (including the fuzz face )

Comment

Hmm I had never really heard anything all that positive about the BYOC products, good to know. I will keep that one on the short list then.
                My Bands -
                https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I tried a tonebender and its really ratty sounding, in a bad non RAT way. In my opinion its a one trick pony, and that Pony is Led Zep 1. So far I haven't been able to dial my clone in to sound anything like Zepp, but need to get the right amp I suppose..
                  Last edited by MetalManiac; 04-30-2011, 07:45 PM.
                  "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Yeah, tonebenders aren't that versatile. More-so than a big muff though not as much as a fuzz face. If you learn to correctly manuever so to speak around a fuzz face, it can get cleans that are beautiful and smoky, light overdrive, dark distortion, and full on fuzz.

Comment

I'm really only after a couple of sounds from it mainly that kinda resonant thing it guitar when you bend higher notes. Sick of demos that play power chords through it ... not what I'm after. Listen to the Maritime Analog Demo and liked it so the shortlist is now
                      BYOC
                      Maritime Analog
                      Hudson Stroll On
                      All under 200 and affordable for me if the BYOC Big Muff I sold is paid for
                      Gondola Kid
                      Bandcamp
                      Facebook
                      JimijaymesGuitarist
                      Youtube

Comment

I to have been on a TB hunt for a long time. Been listening to alot of demos and bunch of reviews. So when I heard the Scarab Deluxe demos I knew that was what I was looking for. Love the raspy,gnarly kind of OD tone you can get. All the way thru to Fuzz voicings. Anyway ordered one Friday should be done in a week. Will post when it gets here.

Comment

Originally posted by James Rock View Post
                          Ok after hours of research I am even more lost.
                          So help me decide on a tonebender MK II (preferably with OC75 transistors)

In the more budget end I've got
                          BYOC Pre Built
                          Smitty Pedals (OC75)
                          MJM Bender
                          Maritime Firing Line

As I go up there is
                          Throbak Stonbender
                          Hudson Electronics Stroll On (clips sound good and good reviews)
                          Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe (silicon transistors)
                          Fromel Electronics Tone Bender

And even more pricey
                          JMI Tonebender MKII OC75

Unknown
                          FuzzFaceLess

Looking at only wanting to spend 125 to 175 US but the Hudson Stroll On sounds good!
                          Anyones to avoid?? I also want to avoid ones that dont reach unity gain (i need it as a boost on top of my clean tone)
                          I know originals and DAM and others (way out of my price range) are good but dont have that kind of money. Extra options such as bias control and pre gain are welcome!
                          Also please dont suggest pedals I cant get like Lumpys Tone Shop
                          The JMI is tops IMHO but it is not cheep...

The BYOC is good, not as amazing as the JMI IMHO but good however it does depend on the build quality and since they are kits thats largely up to you...

The MJM is decent, the UTOOB clips of it are pretty lame but after trying one in person I felt like it was alright...

There are LOADS of MK II clones out there now, just shop around, try and few and get one...

FWIW, the JMI pedals don't do that well on the used market so that might be your best option if you want a life long keeper and can drop the coin.
                          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
                            The BYOC's you can get pre-built and they are actually pretty good.

The only Mk IIs that are better is the JMI version.

Sorry boss, there are a lot of MK II's that are "better" than the BYOC but for the price point the BYOC is hard to beat...
                            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                              It is good but far from the last word...

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
                              It uses the original transistors in the Tonebenders and everything. It's not all NOS parts or whatever but the heart of a fuzz is it's trannies and it has the good ones. They are built well and sound good.
                              OC75's yes...NOS, MOJO OC75's...not a chance in hell.

There is a reason a lof of these fuzz boxes coszt so much...those old parts cost and you're not getting old parts for BYOC prices...

Comment

Working...
                              X