Fender wins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender wins

This is the best thing they've come out with since the original Super Sonic combos.

The Super Sonic Twin

2x12 combo with 100 watts, switchable to 25 watts. That's a HUGE bonus to be able to play a small place with the volume on 5 instead of 2.

Vintage channel is based on either a Twin Reverb/Showman or the Bassman.

The very best part is that this time, the vintage channel has a gain control along with a volume, so you can get more crunch out of it.

I can live without the Deluxe Reverb voice of the 22, as this one will give a Bassman flavor at 25 watts, so that's even better to me.

GAS...

RISING......

Last edited by guitfiddle; 04-25-2011, 12:54 PM.
    - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Re: Fender wins

That's awesome.

Fender is truly creating new classics.
    my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Saw those about a week ago. They have a head version too. There are a lot of cool features that are available on only this series, among them a tube biasing system that lets you rebias the tubes with the press of a button, a speaker damping knob with three different modes, and a notch tune knob on the burn channel that lets you select the frequency range that the mids knob affects. It's really looking to be an amazing amp. I'd love to get my hands on the head.
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

This just might be the head that I start robbing people for.
        I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Heck yeah, boys. That's a pro rig right there. Fender just knocked it right out of the park with this.
          - Tom

Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.

Comment

Well, there are now more options...maybe they'll do a really low wattage one with Tweed Deluxe and Champ voices on the vintage channel. Options are good, and they just nailed this one.
            - Tom

Comment

I don't need to post how i feel about this. i just need to post that I saw the thread.

carry on.

Comment

$2000.00? FAIL
                Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Originally posted by 9finger View Post
                  $2000.00? FAIL
                  I disagree... They took a hint from Mesa and put a LOT of features for EQing and sound customization, including a new user-friendly biasing scheme, an FX loop with adjustable level, a post gain EQ on the burn channel, a speaker response switch, quality speakers in a well built combo cabinet, and all with 100W of classically voiced pure-tube fender tone.

They thought this one out and it's no more overpriced than anything else they offer. Of course they probably should knock $100 or so off ALL their stuff, in an ideal world where you don't pay out the arse for the brand name and image, but it's not on the level of "FAIL" in all caps.

Comment

Ya, I was probably a bit hasty in my reaction. Without playing one, it probably is a stellar amp, but my thinking is, I can buy vintage Bassman's for $500 to $600 all day long. If you're just looking for the Bassman sound and not all that other stuff, like I think I am, it just doesn't make that much sense to pay that much for it. But I do agree, it's a lot of amp for the money and Fender really is getting back on their A game in the amp department again. Should have been more clear on my thoughts.
                    Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

The original Pro Tube Series Twin, Concert, and Pro from around 2001 were actually some real sleeper amps. But I think they perfected it with the Super Sonic amps. Nicer footswitches too.

I've only played the first generation Super Sonic, with the block logo. They were really nice, but they've improved them with the new script logo models from what I hear. I need to plug into the new 22, 60, and this Twin.

Real life expenses have all my funds now, so even though I wish I had one, I'll have to have fun only playing them at the store.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

2 grand though? i could see up to around 1500, but 2000 seems ridiculous, maybe im just not used to spending a lot on amps
                        i saw this band, and thought they were really great, until i saw what the guy was playing through........

Comment

They'll go for 2000 at retail, and the more skilled at haggling should be able to walk with one for 1700 or less. That's almost double the price of the 22, but I feel like this one has enough extra goodies to deserve a price like that.

To keep perspective, the cheapest Gibson mandolin listed in the newest Musicians Friend catalogue is $1800...for an unadorned a-style...and the priciest is 24000 or so.

We guitarists have it GOOD.
                          - Tom

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
                            2x12 combo with 100 watts, switchable to 25 watts. That's a HUGE bonus to be able to play a small place with the volume on 5 instead of 2.
                            Good luck with that. Wattage relates to headroom, not volume. I used to have a Fender "75" amp which was switchable between 15 and 75 watts. There was barely any volume difference between the two settings - the 15 watt setting just broke up earlier.

You may drop the wattage at the output tubes, but you're still going to have a big ol' transformer pushing 2 12" speakers. Keep in mind that the Twin has been switchable from 100 to 25 watts for many years and you don't see anyone extolling the virtues of that as a small club amp.

Not saying this is a bad amp, just keep it in perspective. This version is for like, playing arenas or something.
                            Last edited by Powdered Toast Man; 04-26-2011, 07:15 AM.
                            -
                            My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Volume knobs can be used to turn it down, too. Besides, you can get way more crunch from the vintage channel due to the master volume setup, which is missing on the Twin, the Bassman RIs and the older versions of the SS combos...that alone means you can get a nice tone at a lower volume.

It won't take the place of a 15 watt amp in a tiny room, but you'll be able to play it without killing anyone. For just a bit more perspective, BB King used to play his Twins on 8-10, even in the smaller places.
                              Last edited by guitfiddle; 04-26-2011, 08:16 AM.
                              - Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X