Mesa C90 Black Shadows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mesa C90 Black Shadows?

Alternatively, if it's the top end that's bugging you try rolling the tone pot down on your guitar a bit. It produces a different result than trying to cut the treble via your amp's treble or presence pot and does a lot to tame the sizzle/fizz.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I used to have a C90 in an 1x12 open back cab. Found it too stiff for my liking. Performs nicely with cleans but it just didn't deliver the MEAT for playing with crunch. I much prefer V30s.

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
        Are you playing it with a band? And if not, do you plan on playing with one? V30s aren't the most pleasent speakers at home, but in a band they kick all sorts of ass.

If one of your issues is a harsh top end then G12T-75s might drive you up a wall. When I tried the V30/G12T mix I was running my treble and presence off... Then again, no two people hear things the same and you may like the pairing.

So you've been running a 150w head into a 120w stereo half? How loud are we talking? 'Cause this may explain some of your harshness.

Have you considered getting a separate 2x12 for the T-Verb? The Lonestar 2x12 is an open back with C90s that'd somewhat similar to the original T-Verb combo enclosure. Alternatively, the Recto 2x12 is a sweet sounding cab on it's own.
        No intentions of starting or getting into a band in the immediate future, maybe down the road when things settle down and I have more free time, but that could be awhile.

When I have both heads going into the Recto cab, I've never have the masters more than a quarter up. At half way on the knob, it's too loud for me stand in the room. There a chance I'm over powering the V30's in that setup, but I doubt it. I've even got the Triple set on spongy. I've currently got the Triple plugged into the Swamp Thang side of my 2x12 Avatar cab. If that speaker had a little bit stronger mids, it would be perfect.

I really need to just stop trying to mess around with multiple amps at once and spend some time with each amp individually. Get it set up and EQ'd exactly how I want it, then add other amps to compliment it, or just set them up for different sounds entirely. Having too many toys can be a big deterrent!
        Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

The CL80/C90 is an even EQ speaker with no boosted or shallow frequencies, kinda like an EV. Some people like them because they don't "color" the sound from the amp. That's why they get paired with modelling amps a lot too. The 70/80 is kinda the same thing. Some people really like them and some people really don't.

You could try pairing a Wizard, V30 or Gov with the Swamp Thing, some people like the Texas Heats with them. I have Wizards/Swamp Thangs and they're awesome together.

Turn down your highs and presence the louder you turn your amp, it's in the Mesa manuals.

@Boogie Bill, if you ever want to sell one of those half backs I would roba a bank for the money. I had one once and regretted it for years. Best cab ever.
          Last edited by King IzzO))); 04-27-2011, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I had them in a 2x12 for a long time before swapping them out for V30's. I don't care for them. V30's are better in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by 9finger View Post
              When I have both heads going into the Recto cab, I've never have the masters more than a quarter up. At half way on the knob, it's too loud for me stand in the room. There a chance I'm over powering the V30's in that setup, but I doubt it. I've even got the Triple set on spongy. I've currently got the Triple plugged into the Swamp Thang side of my 2x12 Avatar cab. If that speaker had a little bit stronger mids, it would be perfect.
              Spongy knocks a fair bit of power off. Someone told me that a Dual Recto on spongy was somewhere around 70w on diode, 60w on tube.

I really need to just stop trying to mess around with multiple amps at once and spend some time with each amp individually. Get it set up and EQ'd exactly how I want it, then add other amps to compliment it, or just set them up for different sounds entirely. Having too many toys can be a big deterrent!
              Sometimes it helps to take a step away for awhile and go do something else. I've chased my tail many times thinking something could be improved only to wind up right back where I started once I had everything rebalanced. It can be an expensive process if you're not careful.

Also, I totally agree with the desire to "simplify". Last year I spent a couple of months playing through one guitar and one amp for a couple of months in an effort to refocus on what was important to me. I quickly went from spending the majority of my time tweeking things to spending the majority of my time playing guitar.
              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
                Spongy knocks a fair bit of power off. Someone told me that a Dual Recto on spongy was somewhere around 70w on diode, 60w on tube.

Sometimes it helps to take a step away for awhile and go do something else. I've chased my tail many times thinking something could be improved only to wind up right back where I started once I had everything rebalanced. It can be an expensive process if you're not careful.

Also, I totally agree with the desire to "simplify". Last year I spent a couple of months playing through one guitar and one amp for a couple of months in an effort to refocus on what was important to me. I quickly went from spending the majority of my time tweeking things to spending the majority of my time playing guitar.

I don't have either of the Mesa's on Diode rectification. It makes them sound kind of sterile. Even for ballz out drop tuned metal. That's one part of the amp I could live without and I know from using these 2 Rectifiers, that a single recto solo wouldn't have stayed long.

I really do have too many options to toy with right now. I've been trying to make it all work together instead of making each individual thing work out on it's own. After messing around quite a bit tonight and still not getting anywhere, I've decided to do what you've done and choose one guitar and one amp, play them for awhile, then move on to the next amp.
                Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Working...
                X