Good replacement tubes for 6505+?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good replacement tubes for 6505+?

Hey guys, as you know came up on a sweet deal with the 6505 combo, and it sounds killer stock, but to make things a bit better. I want something that'll smooth everything out less fizzy and ice picky. I don't use much gain and for the most part get it from overdrive pedals, and like my cleans nice and dark. Thanks in advance!

Re: Good replacement tubes for 6505+?

You said cleans nice and dark and that made me think
    "JJ's all around".

Some people find them too dark, or just lacking in high-end in general. It really depends on the amp and the player, but I'd at least recommend one for v1

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
      "JJ's all around".

Some people find them too dark, or just lacking in high-end in general. It really depends on the amp and the player, but I'd at least recommend one for v1
      Cool, ill have to look into them, thanks!. I'm fairly new to the tube thing, as I came from a metal plug in and play background. What are your thoughts on the Svetlana 6L6s? thanks again for the info

Comment

Haven't played the svetlana 6L6. I wonder if they're anything like the svetlana voicing of their EL34? Svetlana EL34s are really mid-heavy. Tube store's reviews say the midrange on the 6L6 is "really nice"... which leads me to believe that if that's his comment, then I bet the svetlanas have a lot of midrange.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
          "JJ's all around".

Yup. If it is too dark for you, EHX 12AX7s are very balanced (I prefer the EHXs). JJ power tubes will do the trick very well in either case.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveAlysis View Post
            Hey guys, as you know came up on a sweet deal with the 6505 combo, and it sounds killer stock, but to make things a bit better. I want something that'll smooth everything out less fizzy and ice picky. I don't use much gain and for the most part get it from overdrive pedals, and like my cleans nice and dark. Thanks in advance!
            One bit of advice would be to drop the overdrive pedals, open the channel master to at least half. Dial gain to taste. It will be fatter and warmer than the pedals. As the volume increases from quiet bedroom levels to "there is a live drummer in the room" volumes, you will notice the high end of your amp change. Some amps will get brighter as the volume goes up, some will get darker and chunkier. It is at that volume that you dial it up the way you want it.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

JJ6l6GC's Great tubes. very beefy. Perfect for the 6505.
              Ibanez S520-> NS2->TS9 (Monte Allums Modded)->JCA100H->Emi Texas Heat 4x12

Comment

I have the new combo, first dump the speaker! I put a Eminence Swamp thang in 150 watts of balls out power. It will take the fizzy top end out and have plenty of low end and high end. Preamp tubes I use a tungsol in the v1,v2 japanese mullard(helped greatly on the gain side) LPS in the PI slot. Speaker is the best thing to do, JJ preamp tubes arent very clear sounding and I rolled many in my amps. Dougs tubes likes the stock Rubys the best for high gain.
                tone slut
                Marshall DSL 40C
                Fender EVH Striped Series
                Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
                Fender Squier Tele Affinity
                Mogami cables

Comment

i have to agree with "ken316": new speaker and get rid of the OD pedal for starters..i have a 3120 head and i got rod of the fizzy sound by putting a lower gain tube(ECC832) in V1 with high gain tung sols in V2 & V3 and this also makes the clean channel very smooth and less harsh, you could probably email they guys at eurotubes and they could recommend a setup based on your desired tone...

Comment

yeah dont need any od pedals for sure
                    tone slut
                    Marshall DSL 40C
                    Fender EVH Striped Series
                    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
                    Fender Squier Tele Affinity
                    Mogami cables

Comment

For a high powered combo, you want the Winged C/SED power tubes. They will hold up better than other tubes, with less rattle and microphonics. Some of these tubes work well in a head, but don't hold up in a combo. Winged Cs are your best bet.

For preamp tubes, you might want to buy a few of each brand. Try substituting tubes in one at a time. It's called "amplifier blueprinting", and it's all about finding the right tube for each socket to give you the tone you want.

Good luck!

Bill
                      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Binnerscot View Post
                        Yup. If it is too dark for you, EHX 12AX7s are very balanced (I prefer the EHXs). JJ power tubes will do the trick very well in either case.
                        EHX is what I go for when I'm not using old stock tubes, but it's actually because I find EHX to be pretty bright. Tung-sols I find more balanced.

Comment

I just put some Tung Sol EL34s in my amp and they sound great. Darker than the stock tubes and much more toneful.

Comment

Working...
                          X